ISO help with canning strawberry fig jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
I am canning this morning and it calls for 3 c. figs,2 c. sugar and 2 boxes strawberry jello. This is going to have a lot of sugar in it. Has anyone used the sugar free jello?? sure would cut the sugar amt. Any help ???

Greg, do you think to cut it back to 1 c. and then use the strawberry reg. or sugar free would be good. I googled and got some different ideas for making it with less sugar ,but I have to have the strawberry to give the figs the taste of it...I believe I have used the s.f. jello before,but can't remember from yr to yr...:yum:

Sorry, can't help. I have never used Jello when making jam. I don't understand why you would go to the effort of making jam and use something so unnatural in your homemade jam.

SG I'll agree with TL, while I was trying to make a constructive suggestion to use less sugar, at the same time I was wondering about the Jello. I've never heard of adding Jello but I'm not any expert at making jam.

The kind I've made I call "refrigerator jam" because it's not made under sterile conditions and must be kept under refrigeration. The recipe is simple, you just add a bunch of fruit to a stock pot and simmer it for a few or several hours, adding only a minimal amount of sugar, no other ingredients. My favorite variety was figs (I had a fig tree) and sliced/chopped lemon including the rind, and just enough sugar to make it a little sweet but not heavily sweet like most jams. I like the less sweet results because they taste more of the fruit.

I suggest you find a recipe that is more conventional, one that doesn't use Jello. If you want pectin then use pectin. Maybe the Jello in your recipe is intended to be a source of pectin (probably in fact). So maybe get rid of the Jello, replace it with pectin, and add some real strawberries.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg! I did see some recipes that were similar to what you said. It did say to put in the refrigerator or to waterbath them because they spoiled easily. I appreciate your replies...

If you want to make a large batch of jam then the heat sterilization would probably be a good way to go. However, if you make a small batch of jam and dispense with the heat sterilization you've reduced the labor considerably, and you can just make a new small batch of refrigerator jam when you want more. Also, making more smaller batches gives you more opportunity to experiment with different recipes.

I highly recommend adding lemon (or other citrus) slices to various jams, for a sort of marmalade taste. Slice the lemon into wedges, then slice each wedge into very thin triangular slices. Remove seeds and add to any jam.

Also, IMO, most jams are sweeter than I like and contain excess sugar. I've always reduced my sugar below what the recipe calls for. Tastes better that way, and less excess calories in your diet. The jam isn't as sweet so some people may not like that.

I have made blackberry jam and have never used Jello in my home preserves. I also have made Fig preserves with out any other fruits.

If you wish, I can see if I can post one of these with a foto tomorrow as I am in Italia, and it is dinner time almost and I have my older daughter visiting with her 2 children.

Let me know via PM.
Kind regards, Ciao, Margi
Have nice wkend.

Thanks Marji , but I have already made the plain fig preserves. I appreciate your offer though..:)

Just thought I would add a note that Jello (gelatin) is an animal product and not appropriate for today's canning process. It was used in my grandmother's time when jams and similar were processed by an "open kettle" procedure. If made keep in frig.

Back
Top Bottom