"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Head Chef

Can your green beans without the meat. When you get ready to cook them, put your ham/bacon/whatever in the pot, chop some onions, (I add a clove or two of garlic) and use the liquid from your green beans to cover the meat and onions. Simmer that for an hour so that it turns into a rich broth (you could do this the night before, or use the crockpot), then add your green beans and cook til they are done enough for you. (You can throw everything in together and cook for an hour, but to my mind, that makes the beans too mushy.)

Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks , I thought that is what I needed to do .... Thanks a whole bunch ... Just would like to know what is everyones favorite recipie for canning ?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracegrown View Post
Thanks , I thought that is what I needed to do .... Thanks a whole bunch ... Just would like to know what is everyones favorite recipie for canning ?
My daughter had a peach tree growing right outside her kitchen door. Open the door, reach out and pick a peach. Big fat, sweet juice running down your arm peaches. One year she brought me bags and bags of peaches. I made a peach jam. Recipe compliments of the Blue Book. It tasted so good, that I gave all the jars away as Christmas gifts. The next year she had the tree removed. The urge to kill was so strong at that time. But I understood. The fallen peaches were drawing all the hornets and making it impossible to get out the door.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Never could grow peach or plum trees.. We have muskadines , Persimens and oranges and figs . My husband loves peaches so maybe I will buy peaches and try canning them.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Brandied peaches are a real treat. You have to leave them sit for about two months after they are canned before you eat them.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

Grace,
In the last two weeks I have canned 12 quarts of blue lake green beans,
and 19 quarts of yellow squash. Vegetable soup mixture is one of my favorite
things to can. I too live in the deep south where veggies are king.

Josie
Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Wow you have been one busy lady... we have a garden but not a huge one .. we plant green beens ever year and they do not produce .. they are this year but their leaves are dying up already but we did yeild some . Ate some today mmmm good. I too love living down south where we almost have a garden all year around... have a Blessed afternoon...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

So I decided to can red beans and sausage and when I pulled them out of the canner one jar did not have enought liquid and the meat ( smoked sausage ) was settled on top without liquid covering it .May it still be eaten ??? thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracegrown View Post
Never could grow peach or plum trees.. We have muskadines , Persimens and oranges and figs . My husband loves peaches so maybe I will buy peaches and try canning them.
When I lived in Hawaii, I had a banana tree and orange tree growing right outside my door in the courtyard. And when I was with the 4H kids at the Fair, I would wait until the trucks came in to show off their wares. The fruit was still warm right off the trees. I always went for the peach trucks first. The biggest, fatest, juiciest peaches you could get your hands on. You would have to eat them bending over. What didn't drip onto the ground, went pouring down your arms and all over your shoes. Next came the Bartlett Pears, then the different plums. Fifteen days later I was probably the healthiest person there. I like apples, I just don't love them. Only for pie making.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Head Chef

Gracegrown--did you use an approved recipe for your redbeans and sausage? If so, the lack of liquid is not a real problem. The exposed beans and sausage might discolor a little with time, so eat that one first.

If you did not find an approved recipe--don't eat them. Period. I couldn't find a recipe for canning beans and sausage.