ISO Help with Pressure Canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean a approved recipe. I read the recipe in a book and I added the sausage beause they had to be pressured cooked the same amount of time....

Gracegrown said:
What do you mean a approved recipe. I read the recipe in a book and I added the sausage beause they had to be pressured cooked the same amount of time....

Oh dear. You should probably stick with the Ball Blue Book, extension agency recommendations, Kerr Canning Guide, other books written especially for pressure canners, the canner's manual. Probably not a good idea to wing it.

I agree with Sparrowgrass.

Last edited:
I really think I am going to quit canning I am so afraid that I mess up ..thanks

Gracegrown said:
I really think I am going to quit canning I am so afraid that I mess up ..thanks

Just follow the TNT recipes, you'll be fine!

With regular cooking, (not baking), it's fine to experiment, but canning is a different animal.

Cripes, what a lot of work! So sorry, Grace.

Last edited:
geez, you should have had this done by now!!!

(just trying to help with the pressure part...)

Ok ! I bought a American Canner and I canned beans with a little meat in it . When done I noticed the liguid in one jar was darker than all the others . When I picked it up I noticed that the lead was loose . So I am sure I did not tighten it well . But my question is Should I throw it away or is it good if I put it in the fridge and eat it later? Thanks for the response ahead of time....

Or you tightened the lid too much. Spring lids are only supposed to be 'finger tight' so that air can escape during processing. The rim could have been contaminated with food or liquid which would also prevent the lid from sealing properly.

The food is probably safe to put in the refrigerator, assuming you were following a tested canning recipe that included adding meat.

Ok Can dried peas that did not seal be reprocessed? I guess I am doing something wrong ... I canned four quart size jars of Blackeyed Peas ( dried) and two did not seal ! I thought I read somewhere they can be reprossed ! is this true ? Thanks

I'm confused too. If the peas are in liquid, you can reprocess. I've never heard of canning dry black eyed peas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom