"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Homemade jerky recipe

Has anyone made any jerky? Beef, turkey, or other? My son requested that we make some at home, but that's one of the few things I have never tried. I looked at some recipes on line and I get the basic jest of it, but if anyone has experience and can point me in the right direction, before I have some bad experiements, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Everymom

Hi carolelaine, are you doing it in the oven or in a smoker?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've tried... but it turned out to be one of those bad experiements of which you speak.

Someone will come along and help you out.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
Head Chef

Another option besides the oven or a smoker is a dehydrator.

The real key to making jerky is to remember that after seasoning/curing, you want to dry the meat, not cook it! Most of the ovens I've ever had wouldn't go low enough to dry the jerky (I have seen article that talk about letting the oven on low with the door held slightly ajar. Not sure I'd want to try that route).

I make jerky with a smoker/dehydrator combo. I season and cure the meat, smoke it for up to an hour, then load it into the dehydrator to make sure it's dried well. We like it a bit more on the dry side. (Slows me down so I don't eat it all at once... )

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior Cook

alton brown uses a different mechanism in which he uses a/c filters and a fan to create a dehydrator... his recipe is here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31151,00.html
Old 09-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I've done the Alton Brown method, and everyone loved it. My kids can't wait for me to make more! I made a little boo boo and forgot to pat the meat dry before the drying process so it took a little longer to get as dry as we wanted it. Anyway, I don't think I'll ever make beef jerky any other way.

ETA: Here's a link to the transcript of Alton's jerky episode, if you want more info. http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Seaso...erky_trans.htm
Old 09-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I can try this in a smoker, oven or the Alton way. I vaguely remember seeing that episode along time ago. I looked at the recipe, I used to have a food dehydrator thing, but I think I gave it away.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I've done it the Alton Brown was as well with great results. One thing to keep in mind though is that you need to watch the A/C filters you use. First time I made it I ended up with the fibers of the filter all over the jerkey.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We make ours in our dehydrator and it's so good it's hard not to eat it all up right away. I make sure my meat is cut very thin, about 1/8 inch. To get it this thin, I freeze it until it just begins to feel firm. It's much easier to slice when slightly frozen.

Then I marinate it in a mixture of 1/2 pound brown sugar, 3 cups soy sauce, 2 cloves of grated garlic, and about 1/2 cup liquid smoke. I put everything in heavy-duty zipper lock bag and let the meat marinate overnight.

Drain in a strainer, put on dehydrator trays and let the dehydrator do its work. Mine is a non-fan operated one, so drying time takes about 5 to 7 days, rotating the trays during drying.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I make mine in the oven. Slice a cut of beef like london broil in thin slices--freeze first if you want to aid in the slicing although I don't really have any problem.
Marinate in a soy marinade--soy sauce, a little sugar, maybe some worcestershire sauce.
Place the strips on something like a cookie/cake cooling rack on a cookie sheet. I like to sprinkle with medium coarse black pepper. Do not let them overlap or touch.
Bake at 200* for several hours. Watch them. When they are dry but not brittle remove.
I do not store homemade jerky outside the fridge. It is okay for a couple of days on a camping trip or such.