ISO Italian Roasted Red Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
My fantastic American-Italian husband has been asking for the jarred peppers like his grandmother made.
She would, so I've been told, put up peppers in her basement each year for a ever-ending supply.
When ever a kid dropped by after school, they got a sandwich made of her freshly baked bread, peppers and eggs and this is heaven for my DH.
I tried it twice and they just didn't cut it. They looked right, but wrong taste.
WDIK! I'm from Hawaii and had never heard of such a thing, until he took me 'back home' to Philly.
Oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world)!
He took me to this Italian 'joint' not far from where he grew up and MAN!
The antipasti plate was ambrosia.
I have searched for years now for the right recipe to put up my own peppers like nonni's (and no, on one in the family knows the secret, they simply ate her's).

@GotGarlic all I could say for sure is she used big, fat, meaty roasted red bell peppers, garlic and olive oil. The only way I got this far was eating at the Italian joint in his old neighborhood, him taking a bit of the peppers and DH saying, "this is it!". (I probably should have asked the owner/chef, but I didn't and haven't been back since.)
Not too sure if any vinegar is involved.
I've asked everyone in the family for help.
No one, really, no one got the recipe from her before she passed.
My husband's 4 Aunties did not cook, nor his own two sister's. His Mother and SIL cooked, but never got around to asking "Mom-Mom" for the recipe/technique.
I'm not even sure if that would be the correct name for them?
DH say that the peppers that I buy in the jar at the market have very little flavor... :shrug:

K-girl, can you doctor up the market peppers, maybe with some Italian seasoning, extra garlic, and hot pepper flakes? Play around with them and have DH keep tasting. Or see if the restaurant has a website, you could contact them.

Last edited:
K-girl, try to call the restaurant and tell them that you and hubby visited and he loved it and live in AZ now and really would like to make something similar and please give me the recipe for the love of G-d and saving your marriage. They are Italians, they will get it. Italians are good peoples. ;) :)
Try it, I've done it before, sometimes it works.

@dawgluver, never thought of that, but I really want to master this myself, you know, putting up peppers ;)

@GotGarlic, that’s good too, but this is the type of peppers that they eat in “peppers and egg sandwiches”
homemade peppers.jpeg peppers and eggs.jpeg

@CharlieD, I tried to look for this restaurant, but this was almost 25 years ago and they have long closed, but you are so right, Italians are very warm folks :)

My fantastic American-Italian husband has been asking for the jarred peppers like his grandmother made.
She would, so I've been told, put up peppers in her basement each year for a ever-ending supply.
When ever a kid dropped by after school, they got a sandwich made of her freshly baked bread, peppers and eggs and this is heaven for my DH.
I tried it twice and they just didn't cut it. They looked right, but wrong taste.
WDIK! I'm from Hawaii and had never heard of such a thing, until he took me 'back home' to Philly.
Oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world)!
He took me to this Italian 'joint' not far from where he grew up and MAN!
The antipasti plate was ambrosia.
I have searched for years now for the right recipe to put up my own peppers like nonni's (and no, on one in the family knows the secret, they simply ate her's).

:flowers: I searched for a recipe for you, I made some peppers years ago. They were deep fried brifely, put in jars and the oil was laddled over the peppers.
I don't remember what the lady that gave me the recipe said about canning them. They were awesome. It was 40 years ago.
This recipe maybe close to what you are looking for
Canning Homemade!: Canning Marinated Red Peppers - Yes it's safe!
I do know you need some oil in them.

Josie

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this might be what you are
looking for.

Josie

Amazon.com: mancini fried peppers

Josie Fried Peppers are delicious, but what I'm attempting to make is fire roasted Red Bell Peppers that are 'put up' and then eaten on a antipasti plate, or on a hard roll with scrambled eggs.
American-Italians go nuts for this stuff that is homemade.
This is what I'm what I'm desperately trying to achieve for my darling husband.

@dawgluver, never thought of that, but I really want to master this myself, you know, putting up peppers ;)

@GotGarlic, that’s good too, but this is the type of peppers that they eat in “peppers and egg sandwiches”
View attachment 21661 View attachment 21660

@CharlieD, I tried to look for this restaurant, but this was almost 25 years ago and they have long closed, but you are so right, Italians are very warm folks :)

Where did these pictures come from?

Josie Fried Peppers are delicious, but what I'm attempting to make is fire roasted Red Bell Peppers that are 'put up' and then eaten on a antipasti plate, or on a hard roll with scrambled eggs.
American-Italians go nuts for this stuff that is homemade.
This is what I'm what I'm desperately trying to achieve for my darling husband.

What was the recipe like that you tried before? What did your husband say about it? Is there anyone from his childhood with whom he is still in touch who might also have a relative who made these? Where did he grow up? Might there be another restaurant that makes these?

Last edited:
Where did these pictures come from?

These are from my first attempt a couple of years back

What was the recipe like that you tried before? What did your husband say about it? Is there anyone from his childhood with whom he is still in touch who might also have a relative who made these? Where did he grow up? Might there be another restaurant that makes these?

Nope. No one knows how his Grandmother made these, they just ate them. Most of my husband's family is no longer with us.

:flowers: I searched for a recipe for you, I made some peppers years ago. They were deep fried brifely, put in jars and the oil was laddled over the peppers.
I don't remember what the lady that gave me the recipe said about canning them. They were awesome. It was 40 years ago.
This recipe maybe close to what you are looking for
Canning Homemade!: Canning Marinated Red Peppers - Yes it's safe!
I do know you need some oil in them.

Josie

This is the recipe that I followed and it was too sour for my husband, he didn't care for it.
so my hunt continues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom