ISO Lemon Butter recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmac

Head Chef
I have often bought this at fetes and really love it.A friend has a very fruitful lemon tree so i would like to be able to make lemon butter myself if anyone has a simple recipe.

I think that's an alternative name for lemon curd? If so, here's a quick recipe that my husband loves.... it's a Delia Smith one, can't remember which book, though! I posted this recipe in a thread a while ago - and there are lots of versions of lemon curd by other members. I also posted a lemon/lime curd recipe, too... it makes a delicious alternative to 'plain' lemon curd!

Makes three 1 lb (350 ml capacity) jars (which should be sterilized before use)
Grated zest and juice 4 large juicy lemons
4 large eggs
12 oz (350 g) golden caster sugar
8 oz (225 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small lumps
1 level dessertspoon cornflour

Lightly whisk the eggs in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients and place the saucepan over a medium heat. Whisk continuously using a balloon whisk until the mixture thickens – about 7-8 minutes. Next, lower the heat to its minimum setting and let the curd gently simmer for a further minute, continuing to whisk. After that, remove it from the heat.
Now pour the lemon curd into the hot, sterilised jars, filling them as full as possible, cover straightaway with waxed discs, seal while it is still hot and label when it is cold. It will keep for several weeks, but it must be stored in a cool place.

A recipe in one of her cookery books is to make a plain roulade - and when cool to smooth on a generous layer of lemon curd, then a generous layer of fresh cream (I add lemon zest to the cream) before rolling it up. Delicious!

Thanks Ishbel that looks great although what is golden caster sugar?? I only have white here would that be OK?

'Golden' is a less refined sugar than white - but is still processed. White would be fine.

I posted a lemon/lime curd recipe on here a while back - I'll see if I can find it!

Found it!

Lemon and Lime Curd

This curd is quick and easy to make.. It will keep in the fridge for up to one month and is particularly good on warm scones, as a filling for tartlets, or folded into mascarpone to make a quick dessert.

2 unwaxed lemons, washed
2 organic limes, washed
3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
100g unsalted butter, cubed
200g granulated sugar

Finely grate the zest from the lemons and limes. Squeeze the juice from one of the lemons and both the limes. Put the lemon and lime zest and juice in a large, heatproof bowl with all the remaining ingredients.

Set the bowl over a large pan of barely simmering water, ensuring that the bowl is not in contact with the water. Keep the water at a simmer only, otherwise the eggs may curdle. Stirring all the time, cook the curd until it thickens just enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. This will take 20-30 minutes at which point the curd will look slightly cloudy.

Warm 2-3 small clean jars with a total capacity of 500ml, in a moderate oven for 5 minutes. Pour the curd into the jars almost to the top and place a waxed disc on top immediately. Cover when cold, label and date.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom