ISO more ideas for "putting by" yellow squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moorebev

Assistant Cook
I need something to do with yellow squash. I have made squash pickles, stewed them and put in the freezer, and just cut some up to freeze and I still have squash. Any ideas?

Miss moorebev...

One of the joys I have always had with gardening was sharing a bountiful harvest with friends, neighbors, and especailly older folks. Some years I have been blessed with so much, I wound up gving away more than I kept for myself. Just an idea!

Enjoy, and Have fun!

SQUASH JELLY

6 c. grated squash
6 c. sugar
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 can (20 oz.) drained pineapple
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. Jello

Add 1 cup water to squash and boil 6 minutes. Add sugar, lemon juice and pineapple and cook 6 minutes more. Add Jello and cook 6 minutes more. Seal in jelly or pint jars.

moorebev, do you need ideas on how to use them fresh, too, or just putting them up?

Lee

Last edited:
:) If you have a food dehydrator you can cut them in little cubes dehydrate them.Use them to throw into soups and stews.

Did not think about deydrating them, I will have to try that. Thanks for all your ideas. I will have to try them all. I love to bake the small ones, I wish you could keep them fresh out of the garden all year. if you have any ideas on fresh to I would love it.

:) Take the smaller more tender ones cut in half lenght wise brush with butter or olive oil salt&pepper mayby some granulated garlic and grill on grill till tender.Delicious.

moorebev said:
Did not think about deydrating them, I will have to try that. Thanks for all your ideas. I will have to try them all. I love to bake the small ones, I wish you could keep them fresh out of the garden all year. if you have any ideas on fresh to I would love it.
You can also dry them along with onions ,carrots,tomatoes bell peppers etc to make a vegetable mix for soups and stews.Great stuff to have in the winter when your in a pinch.

I have a recipe for squash cake using a box mix. You would never know that squash was an ingredient. Also, I just received a squash casserole recipe that was delicious. It had water chestnuts. If you would like me to post the recipes, I would be happy to.

Back
Top Bottom