ISO: Pickling Jalapeno's Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azuresky

Assistant Cook
I found this site doing a Google search on pickling Jalapeno peppers, but I didn't really see a recipe technique for doing it. I am requesting recipes and vairations for doing this, preferable whole jalapeno's... and NOT the refrigerated kind.

We have an abundance of jalapeno's this year and I don't want them to go to waste. We love them and have been buying the canned variety at the grocery store, some were canned in jars on the west coast, the ones we are buying now in NC are in cans, which we definitely do not like since they are less convenient to store. Both kinds however include other vegetables, garlic always... carrots, cauliflower, even baby corn or okra depending on the brand.

I am most interested in finding a recipe that can replicate the jarred preservation of these peppers and to include garlic ect. I have never done this before! Nor do I have much experience with canning period. We are trying to grow our own and preserve... We have gardened before and done that well... but grown things we didn't have enough to preserve. This year for the first time... our tomato's are doing great and the jalapeno's are too. Hard to believe we have enough now for canning. For the last 3 years we were unable to get even ONE edible tomato, but the bees are out for the first time I've seen in years!! Yea!

Thanks for any and all responses ahead of time.

Welcome to DC! I don't pickle jalapenos, but I do freeze them (I just wash them and fresh them whole). I grate the frozen ones on eggs, in rice, etc. I may have to try pickling some this year...I think AndyM recently pickled a bunch of jalapenos (or else it was FrankZ). I'm sure you'll see several posts on how to do this soon!

Welcome Aboard to D.C.

Sorry, I am based in Puglia, Italia in Gargano during the summer and some holiday vacations ... and Madrid Capital during the rest of the year.

I love jalapeños however ... and when I get a chance we enjoy Mexican in the Madrid Capital ...

Best to you,
Ciao, Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:
Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
I am sure there are many recipes for pickled hot peppers.
I recommend you check out The National Center for Home Food Preservation
It has the information you need. You can't be too careful when canning and pickling. Follow the guidelines carefully. There are several recipes and instructions for pickling not only hot peppers but all manner of vegetables on that website.
I wish you much success!

I recently made pickled jalapenos using the Ball book (not the Blue Book but the other one).

Basically you boil the vinegar and water with garlic in it, strain out the garlic then water bath the jalapenos. I sliced mine up, but I suppose it would work whole too.

The only change I made to the recipe was Kathleen wanted me to toss in some sugar, just a little bit. I canned in 4oz jars and I ate an entire jar with my chicken salad for lunch the other day. It is almost time to pick more peppers!

Back
Top Bottom