ISO recipe for home-canned pasta sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
Anyone canning pasta sauce? I have tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic from the garden now all I need is a tried & true recipe. Anyone have one to share? Thanks.

Well, boo hiss. Let's try it this way. Here's my initial post (8-31-07):

I developed this recipe quite a few years ago and use it in any recipe that calls for commercially-canned tomato sauce. I try to have plenty of it on my pantry shelves and to give as gifts. It's good on it's own over pasta, too. Enjoy!

KATIE’S OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
(Makes about 3 cups)

5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 lbs. Roma or plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise in halves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons

Generously brush a large baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
Season the cut sides of the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Brush the skins with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake in a preheated 450º until the tomato skins are lightly browned and the tomatoes are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely. Pull the skins off the tomatoes and discard.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic and red pepper in a small skillet over medium heat until the garlic has softened but has not browned, about 2 minutes. Puree the tomatoes, pan juices and garlic oil in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Process until the basil is uniformly distributed through the sauce. Note: The sauce can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated or frozen for up to 2 months. It can also be canned using a water-bath. Fill clean sterilized jars, leaving ½-inch head space. Process pints for 15 minutes.

P.S. I've used tomatoes besides Roma/plum with equally good success.

Reactions: gmg
I roast tomatoes, garlic, celery, onions, green peppers on an oiled baking sheet, then scrape them into the food processor, or I use my stick blender. I don't peel the tomatoes or chop the veggies--the processer/blender takes care of that.

I pressure can mine, because I have lowered the acid level with the extra veggies. (Also because pressure canning is quicker and heats the house up less.)

This makes great pizza sauce.

sparrowgrass, how long do you process yours in the pressure cooker? Do you use pints or qts? Thanks.

sauce canning delimma

One more delimma.......I was reading and discovered that the USDA doesn't list any guidlines pertaining to the use of olive oil and herbs in tom sauce. They only state to add the olive oil later and that's just silly. Does anyone have any canning suggestions. Thanks

Use of any kind of oil in home canning tomato sauce is discouraged. Use of dried herbs is fine, but use of fresh herbs is discouraged. Do not confuse the freedeom of 'cooking' recipes with the much more restrictive canning recipes that are intended to store foods at room temperature for extended periods.
Preventing potential botulism poisoning is not a silly thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom