ISO Rhubarb jam recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been harvesting my neighbor's rhubarb and have been making sauce and jam. I remember many years ago eating a rhubarb jam that was "jammy" with firm pieces of rhubarb. I haven't been able to duplicate it since, even with either powdered or liquid pectin . Am thinking lemon Jello? Ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
From one rhubarb lover to another... please let us know whenever you find out!

I love chunky rhubarb too. Unfortunately my 99 yo great aunt didn't share her recipe and I was too young to do anything other than ask please, for another piece of toast or biscuit to slather with lots of butter and more jam.

My mom made jam too, it was all the same consistency. My recipe, which I would be happy to share, comes out too smooth and only has a little fiber in it. Tasty if not the right texture.

We are just a little behind you and my rhubarb is not quite big enough to harvest yet. Patience, patience and perhaps a trip to the farmer's market.

I looked at Google images for Rhubarb Preserves. This is one with the most chunky appearance. With the added bonus of Roses and it's a Baked! before canning.

I'd try it and if it works, go buy my own rose to celebrate.

Baked Rhubarb-Rose Preserves | A Gardener's Table

Thanks Whiska. Mine is tasty, but mushy. Maybe nuking without additional water, though the old gals who made it back in the day didn't have microwaves. I so recall that wonderful jar of jam, nice chunks al dente.

Last edited:
Another attempt. This time, no water, only rhubarb and sugar, cooking on medium low. I'm thinking I might have to try it in the crock pot. Thankfully, with my neighbor not cooking it, I have an unlimited supply. He enjoys the sauce too. ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1431983298.223945.jpg

Some friends can't get rhubarb where they live, and devoured the sauce I brought down the last time. Wow, this stuff makes a lot of liquid, even without water.

Last edited:
Hmm. Not quite there yet. I mixed a tiny bit of the previous batch into the new batch, as we're giving away the rest of the previous batch to a friend.

The new batch is a bit chunkier, but I may have overcooked it. Still tastes really good though. Note to self: no added water is needed.

Last edited:
I have never added water when making jam. I wonder if adding some of the rhubarb half way through the cooking would help with the texture.

What about roasting some of the rhubarb? Rhubarb is juiciest after rain, so picking it a few days where you haven't had any rain for a few days might result in less water in the rhubarb. Maybe wait until closer to the end of the season when the weather has been hotter and drier.

It's more a texture thing. Some good ideas, guys, thanks. I'm a purist when it comes to rhubarb, no strawberries please.

I have plenty more to experiment with, don't like seeing the neighbor's patch go to waste. And my own little rhubarb patch is looking pretty good now too.

Not sure if I mentioned this before in another thread, I'm old and tend to repeat myself. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You can reduce the amount of sugar needed to sweeten rhubarb by about 1/2 if you add a little baking soda to the sugar before mixing it into the rhubarb. It doesn't take much baking soda, about 1/4 t for every 4 cups of diced rhubarb.

Cool! Thanks AB, will give it a shot. The current sauce was sugared to taste, I probably used half as much as what the recipes I've looked at state.

This is a recipe I use.

5 cups rhubarb
4 cups sugar (or to taste)
1 - 3oz package strawberry jello

Cut up rhubarb in small pieces and put in a large bowl. Add sugar and let stand on the counter overnight. (stir occ.). In the morning put in a pan and bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Add jello. Stir until dissolved. Put in jars and keep in the refrigerator. Keeps for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom