ISO Spice info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsy2_25

Assistant Cook
Hi - as we all know, you can't vary the portions used in canning of the main ingredients (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) What about spices though? I would love to make spaghetti sauce, but the Ball recipes don't have NEARLY enough spice for me. Does anyone know if it's safe to increase the spices??

As far as I know, as long as you don't mess with the acidity of the sauce, the spices can be adjusted to taste. Were you thinking salt or more along the oregano/basil line?

I was definitely thinking along the oregano, pepper, rosemary, thyme type lines. I do like a large pinch of sugar added to the pot, and I like it thick (tomato paste) but I guess I could sacrifice those for at least having good flavor. It's not fair - wish I could make it the way I want!!!!

on the other hand, make the basic sauce and can it safely. Then when you reheat, you certainly can add spices, etc and let it simmer 30 min. It'll be great.

I was under the impression that the canning part happens because of heat and pressure and you can 'can' any recipe. When I was a kid we canned peaches and they were in a thick syrup. I have canned chicken stock before as well.

I would say to follow the canning instructions but use your own sauce recipe and everything should be fine. Maybe call the home canning hotline at 1-800-240-3340 or visit the web page at www.homecanning.com.

Just so you know I do not know these numbers and addresses off the top of my head but they are printed on the bottom of some canning jar boxes I have ;-)

Enjoy

gypsy2_25 said:
I was definitely thinking along the oregano, pepper, rosemary, thyme type lines. I do like a large pinch of sugar added to the pot, and I like it thick (tomato paste) but I guess I could sacrifice those for at least having good flavor. It's not fair - wish I could make it the way I want!!!!

You probably can make it the way you want without any problems.

1) I can not imagine anyone adding so many herbs/spices that they would upset the pH balance.

2) Add a little sugar if you want - it is both acidic and a preservative.

3) Reducing the sauce down to where it is thicker will not reduce the acid level. It will, in fact, increase it some proportional to the amount of reduction.

Back
Top Bottom