ISO TNT Homemade Sauerkraut Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Hey All,
I have 2 huge heads of cabbage and would like to try my hand at making sauerkraut. Any TNT recipes you'd be willing to share?

Also, when I was searching on line, they all say to just store in the fridge. Is it possible to hot water bath can it?

Thank you!

Making Sauerkraut is more of a formula than a recipe.

My Grandparents did it in stone crocks on the basement floor.

The basics are shredded cabbage and salt. That’s it. Too much salt and you get salt cabbage. Too little and the cabbage will spoil.

It must be weighted down to keep all of the cabbage below the level of the liquid.

What you are attempting is actually fermentation as the preservation medium. Think of it as akin to a farmer putting silage into a silo.

I don’t have the actual cabbage to salt ratio on hand, but I will contact my family and see is I can get them

Just got off the phone with my 90 yr old Mother. She laughed at me and said, “There is no recipe for making kraut. It is an art.”

She said it is more in technique and proportions.

5# of shredded cabbage + 3 tablespoons of Non Iodized salt is a good start.

She said this proportion can vary depending on how “Wet” the cabbage is. “You just got to get a feel for it.”

Put a layer of cabbage into a stone crock, sprinkle with some of the salt. Pack it tightly. She said, “Let the Great Grand kids do the packing. It tires them out and they will shut up and take their nap.”

Repeat until all cabbage and salt is in the crock or the Grandkids are finally taking their nap.

The salt will draw the liquid out of the cabbage creating brine.

Make sure you weigh down the shredded cabbage with a plate so all of the cabbage stays submerged in the brine.

Store the crock in a cool, dark place until fermentation is complete.

Ma also added.. You don’t want to make Kraut if you do it in a part of your home where you actually live.. It will smell kind of like a bad fart she said. :ohmy:

Homemade Sauerkraut

2 pounds green cabbage -- shredded
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Toss the cabbage, salt and sugar together in a large bowl. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour, or until the cabbage has released a lot of water. If there is not enough brine, the sauerkraut will go bad before it ferments.

Place the cabbage in a large glass or glazed earthenware jar or canister, first squeezing the liquid from each handful back into the bowl. After you've added all the sauerkraut, push it down with your fist to make it more compact. Then pour in enough brine to cover the cabbage by at least 1 inch. Insert a small plate, large enough to cover all the cabbage, inside the jar to keep the cabbage submerged. Drape the canister with a cloth and let sit at room temperature for 2 to 4 weeks.

Check the plate after a couple of days. If it's floating on the brine, place another plate on top of the first to create more weight. It's ready when it tastes like sauerkraut.

This recipe yields about 5 cups.

Just got off the phone with my 90 yr old Mother. She laughed at me and said, “There is no recipe for making kraut. It is an art.”

She said it is more in technique and proportions.

5# of shredded cabbage + 3 tablespoons of Non Iodized salt is a good start.

She said this proportion can vary depending on how “Wet” the cabbage is. “You just got to get a feel for it.”

Put a layer of cabbage into a stone crock, sprinkle with some of the salt. Pack it tightly. She said, “Let the Great Grand kids do the packing. It tires them out and they will shut up and take their nap.”

Repeat until all cabbage and salt is in the crock or the Grandkids are finally taking their nap.

The salt will draw the liquid out of the cabbage creating brine.

Make sure you weigh down the shredded cabbage with a plate so all of the cabbage stays submerged in the brine.

Store the crock in a cool, dark place until fermentation is complete.

Ma also added.. You don’t want to make Kraut if you do it in a part of your home where you actually live.. It will smell kind of like a bad fart she said. :ohmy:

Great Post!!! LOL

What an insightful post from Ma.;)

I will be making sauerkraut this year for the first time and will take her advice to heart...especially the location of the crock:-p

Back
Top Bottom