ISO Tomato Preserves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Have any of you ever tried tomato preserves? When I was at a friend's home one weekend, I tasted them for the first time.
They were sweet and spicy, tasting of cinnamon and other aromatic spices, with some chewy, sweet citrusy tasting bits in it.
I spread some on my buttered biscuit, took a bite, and almost levitated from the sheer goodness of it all.

My friend didn't make the preserves...they were a gift from a lady she works with. If any of you have a recipe, I'd love to have it. I don't do much of this kind of thing any more, but I might make an exception in this case.

Constance, here's one I've made for years. We used to make it for catering, and use as a condiment, or with a cream cheese spread. It's awesome! Makes great Christmas presents, too!

TOMATO BASIL JAM

7 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
4 chopped, cored, peeled apples
3 medium onions chopped fine
2 chopped red bell peppers
1 ½ cups chopped sundried tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 cups cider vinegar
4 cups chopped fresh basil
3 tsp. dried oregano

Combine all but basil, and cook slowly til thick, 1 ½ to 2 hours. As misture thickens, stir to prevent sticking. Add basil, stir to combine. Ladle in clean jars, process 10 minutes in water bath.

I'm not even sure what Tomato Preserves are, but I'd be happy to offer this recipe which I used when I had 10 kgs of tiny cherry tomatoes shining red on the vines:
1 kg cherry tomatoes, whole
4 cloves garlic, sliced
4 thick slices onion
600 ml water
600 ml white wine vinegar
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
1/2 tsp celery seed
a few sprigs of fresh basil
2 tsps yellow mustard seed
2 tsps salt

Wash and dry the tomatoes.
Put the water, vinegar, garlic, black peppercorns, celery seed, mustard and salt into a stainless steel pan and heat until boiling. Remove from heat.
Put the tomatoes into large jars;layer with onion slices and basil.
Fish out a slice or three of garlic and layer with the other ingredients.
Pour the liquid over the tomatoes, adding the spices to the jars at the end.
Water bath for 20 minutes.

"Constance, here's one I've made for years. We used to make it for catering, and use as a condiment, or with a cream cheese spread. It's awesome! Makes great Christmas presents, too!
TOMATO BASIL JAM"

OOf!
I'm dribbling on my mouse!
That looks really, really good!

Last edited:
Thanks

I don't have the recipe but you brought back a wonderful memory. My late mother-in-law use to make the best tomato jam. She also baked the bread to put it on. YUM! :)

I keep a napkin by the computer because I drool over the recipes so much, Clive.:LOL:

That recipe looks great, Marm, and I've copied and saved it. But the one I'm looking for is not savory...It's full of cinnamon with a secondary taste of lemon.

Constance, this one is sweet - 3 cups of sugar!!!! You could just add lemon juice/zest, and leave out the basil; that is, if you can't come up with the exact recipe you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom