ISO Turkey Stock recipe for canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MNTaxi

Cook
My husband is cooking a turkyinthe oven for Easter Sunday. I read on the forums somehere about boiling the carcas and making a turkey stock. I would hate to waste the carcas if it can be used. I would also like to can the stock if that is possible.

Does anyone have a recipie for Turkey Stock? Also the steps and times for canning? This is a 14lbs Turkey.

Another question I have is . . . . is it safe to make like a turkey soup minus the noodles and can that so all you have to do is make noodles and dump them in the canned soup? Any recipeis and canning information this would be great.

I am sure most are already aware of this from my posts but I am VERY new to cooking and have just recently become interested. Mom use to do all the canning and cooking and I just took it for granted. I also do not have access to my cook books because we just moved so I havn't found them yet. :doh:

Can't help you with canning but most folks freeze turkey (or any other) stock.

Break the bones up into manageable pieces and place in a stock pot. Cover with water plus an inch or so. Add a cut up onion, carrot and celery stock. Also a few cloves of garlic and a dozen peppercorns.

Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-6 hours. Strain the broth and cool it down as quickly as possible by placing it into a sink full of cold water and stirring.

Refrigerate the cooled stock overnight. Skim any fat off the top the mext morning. You will have a gelatinous turkey stock.

From there I usually spoon it into one quart freezer bags and freeze them on a cookie sheet. When frozen they can be stacked in the freezer for later use.

The same process can be used for the soup.

Someone else will be along to provide info on canning.

You can either freeze or can your stock - but if you're going to can it you will have to have a pressure canner. Read these pages: Canning stock

If you want to freeze your stock/broth - make it, cool it, portion it, freeze it.

Last edited:
when i make a poultry stock for gravies i use a large pasta pot with strainer and i put the peppercorns in a tea ball for easy removal, i don't chop the veggies i add an onion that has the root end cut off but skin on cut in half, washed unpeeled carrot (cut ends off), parsley stems (they add more flavor to the stock then the leaves), whole celery ribs and the small pale leaves from the inside and for chicken stock i add the green tops of leeks wash very well. i roast wings in oven with herbs then add to the pot. fill pot to the top with water and boil several hours. when stock is done just lift out the strainer and all the big pieces are removed, not much little stuff is left.

i freeze unused stock. i have never canned anything. my aunt does and instead of boiling the bottles she runs them through the hot cycle of her dish washer, which she says sterizes the bottles (i don't have a dish washer so i am just going by what she says).

1. 1 Cellery Stock. . . . . . .is the bottom part of the cellary that holds all the cellery together, right?

2. 12 peper corns

3. 1 Onion. . . . . . . What size?

4. I Turkey carcass Broken up (14lbs turkey)

5. Garlic . . . . . .

6. Water . . . . . how much? I think I am getting 3 different amounts.

How long do I boil/simmer, etc?

Is their anything I am missing?

What do I do with all the skin and broth in the botton of the pan I used to cook the turkey?

1. 1 Cellery Stock. . . . . . .is the bottom part of the cellary that holds all the cellery together, right?

2. 12 peper corns

3. 1 Onion. . . . . . . What size?

4. I Turkey carcass Broken up (14lbs turkey)

5. Garlic . . . . . .

6. Water . . . . . how much? I think I am getting 3 different amounts.

How long do I boil/simmer, etc?

Is their anything I am missing?

What do I do with all the skin and broth in the botton of the pan I used to cook the turkey?

strain, degrease then put back in pan and use the liquid to loosen all those brown bits off the bottom of the pan, then use to make your gravy.

We cooked the turkey in a Bag so nothing sticking to the bottom of the pan.

So I want to know what to do with all the juice and skin in the bag. Just dump it in the pot when making the stock?

We cooked the turkey in a Bag so nothing sticking to the bottom of the pan.

So I want to know what to do with all the juice and skin in the bag. Just dump it in the pot when making the stock?
i would strain out the skin and degrease it first.

Well I went and got all the ingrediants this morning for the stock. I bought a 12 qt stock pot.

I don't think I trimmed the meat off the turkey well enough. I was under the impression I was supposed to leave a little meat on the carcass. Well after breaking up the carcass and putting the drippings in the pot it filled the pot over 1/3 of the way. Added 2 carrots, all the leaves and stock of the cellery, 2 bay leaves, and about 6 pepercorns, 1 large yellow onion.

I put 5 qts of water in the pot. Anything I am misssing? I just turned up the heat to bring it to a boil.

Well I went and got all the ingrediants this morning for the stock. I bought a 12 qt stock pot.

I don't think I trimmed the meat off the turkey well enough. I was under the impression I was supposed to leave a little meat on the carcass. Well after breaking up the carcass and putting the drippings in the pot it filled the pot over 1/3 of the way. Added 2 carrots, all the leaves and stock of the cellery, 2 bay leaves, and about 6 pepercorns, 1 large yellow onion.

I put 5 qts of water in the pot. Anything I am misssing? I just turned up the heat to bring it to a boil.

Sounds about right. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it go for 5-6 hours.

I think my main concern now is how do I know I didn't add to much water. It has been going for about 3 hours right now and it is taking on a nice yellow chicken soup color. I tasted it with a spoon and it really doesn't have any flavor. Did I screw up?

My grandma told me to throw in some chicken Bouillon cubes. I didn't do it because I am still not sure if that may affect me being able to can the stock?

Does stock have a lot of flavor to begin with? I only added about 1/2 a table spoon of salt to 5 qts water. Husband can't have a whole lot of salt.

The water should have covered the bones with a little extra. If there is too much water, you can reduce it by boiling after you strain out the bones and other stuff.

It won't have a finished taste because of a lack of salt. You should not add salt to a stock. Always add it to the dish you are using it in. The salt you did add won't be a problem.

Some people boil it way down so it's double strength or more then freeze it. That way it takes up less space and dan always be brought back to normal strength with added water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom