"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Question Jam & Jelly Kit Question

Hubby bought me a Jam & Jelly kit Sunday night & I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used this stuff. It's called Just Add Fruit & it's made by The Uhlmann Co. I'll post a link to the web site so you can see what I'm talking about. If you have used it, what we're your results? http://www.ceresota.com/products.htm

Old 10-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

That's interesting.

My first reaction was, all they are doing is mixing the sugar and pectin together for you - not a big deal. But it appears they are changing the canning method as well. I don't know enough about canning to comment on that.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
Master Chef

Me either Andy. I've only made freezer jam but hubby saw it & thought I'd like it. I guess I'll just have to get my moms big pot she uses for canning & give it a shot.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Everymom

I've never seen anything like this crewsk. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
Head Chef

Looks interesting from the website, sounds easier than normal jam let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Master Chef

I sure wish they had posted the instructions off the back of the box, and/or some recipes for using it, on their website.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

Well, I can do that for you Michael.

This is for a 32oz box of the sugar-pectin mix.

Wash then sterilize 6 8oz jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. Keep hot. Cover lids with boiling water for 3 minutes before using.

Place 2lbs prepared fruit*(for jam) or 3 1/2C unsweetened juice(for jelly) in 6-8 quart saucepot. Stir in 1pkg(32oz) Just Add Fruit. Saucepot must be no more than 1/3 full to allow for full rolling boil.

Stir & bring to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down) over high heat. Boil hard 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off foam.

Promptly ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims & threads clean with a damp cloth. Immediately cover jars with hot lids. Screw bands on firmly.

Place filled jars in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. (Water should cover jars by 1-2 inches.) Remove jars, let cool completely & check for tight seal.

*To prepare fruit: wash & remove stems, pits, or cores. Crush, grind, or finely chop.

2lbs. Fresh Prepared Fruit Equivalents:

Blueberries- 4C
Cherries(sweet)- 3 1/2C
Peaches- 3 1/2C
Plums- 4C
Raspberies- 3 1/2C
Strawberries- 4C
Old 10-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
Master Chef

ARRGH ... advertising!

Yeah, it appears that all they are doing is mixing the sugar and pectin together for you (like Andy M. said) ... and probably charging more than if you measured the sugar yourself.

The "special grind" of sugar is probably "Fine" - you can get the same by throwing your table sugar into a food processor and giving it a whirl for about a minute. But, it's not necessary.

The advertising on the website says you only need to process the "Just Add Fruit" jam/jelly in "hot water" for 5 minutes, and by the traditional method for 10-minutes in "boiling water". Humm ... using sterilized jars - it only takes 5-minutes "in a boiling water canner" either way. While their ad on the website says "hot water" - the instructions on the package say "boiling water". Humm ....

It appears that the "Just Add Fruit" saves you the time and effort of measuring the sugar yourself. And, that's about it. But, if you haven't messed around with this for a while you wouldn't notice that.

DH was obviously thinking about you, and tried to do something nice for you ... He deserves special recognition for that!!! (yeah - I'm going to take up for the guy's side ... HEHEHE)
Old 10-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Well, plus the fact that it was on clearance for $4. I do appreciate the thought & gesture of it very much. I was just as thrilled with the jars that came with it as I was the entire thing. It has the sugar-pectin stuff, 6 8oz jars & lids(these aren't the rings & lids, they are in one piece), & 6 labels. Since I don't have any canning jars, these will be a nice start if I ever decide to do anything in small batches. Like I said earlier all I've ever made is freezer jam. This will be a nice change for me. Thanks for looking into it Michael! I know I can always count on you to see the little things that I miss.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
Master Chef

Hey, kid - we're all just here to share.