"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Jam Problem

My daughter in law made raspberry jam. According to the instructions on the pectin box. She did every thing right except the last stage was to put the jam jars in boiling water in canner and process 10 minutes. She laddle hot jam and then let them sit and cool down. The jars did pop and seal, but I'am wondering how safe is this. She has been doing it for 2 years now. I just found out. Can I reopen jam and just add new lids and process in canner for the 10 minutes or what to do?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Everymom

If the jars were sterile to begin with you should likely be OK. The lids sealed so I think you're fine. I don't think I would reprocess them myself but others might tell you differently.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Mr. Greenjeans

I never use the hot water bath unless they don't seal on the counter. I've been doing it myself for 10 years and I apprenticed under Mom for another 25.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Head Chef

The only thing you must remember if you don't go through the pasteurizing process (Boiling Water Bath) is that no bacteria, yeast, or mold spores have been killed and they will eventually grow in the jar, if present.

You won't die from a contaminated jar, but you could get sick depending on how good/bad your immune system is. Not all spoilage is visible.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I'm sorry to disagree with others, but NO, this is not safe. It is called "Open Kettle" canning and it's dangerous. The point of the water bath is not to seal the jars, but to sterilize the contents and the jars. 10 minutes of boiling at 212*F does that for high-acid foods.

I could take a jar of contaminated food, warm it up, put it in a hot jar and put a lid on it and as long as the lid and rim are clean, it will still seal. A seal doesn't mean it's safe. It means the decrease in the temperature has caused a decrease in the atmosphere inside the jar. It's the same reason you can take a peeled, hard-boiled egg and a jar with a small opening, drop a match into it and the vacuum with suck the egg inside. It's no different than using a FoodSaver.

Google "Open Kettle" canning. You've just gotten lucky so far. There is a reason that canning information is updated by the USDA and old practices are thrown out. Just because grandma did it that way and never poisoned anyone doesn't mean anything. Grandma also never buckled up in the car.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I'm sorry to disagree with others, but NO, this is not safe. It is called "Open Kettle" canning and it's dangerous. The point of the water bath is not to seal the jars, but to sterilize the contents and the jars. 10 minutes of boiling at 212*F does that for high-acid foods.

I could take a jar of contaminated food, warm it up, put it in a hot jar and put a lid on it and as long as the lid and rim are clean, it will still seal. A seal doesn't mean it's safe. It means the decrease in the temperature has caused a decrease in the atmosphere inside the jar. It's the same reason you can take a peeled, hard-boiled egg and a jar with a small opening, drop a match into it and the vacuum with suck the egg inside. It's no different than using a FoodSaver.

Google "Open Kettle" canning. You've just gotten lucky so far. There is a reason that canning information is updated by the USDA and old practices are thrown out. Just because grandma did it that way and never poisoned anyone doesn't mean anything. Grandma also never buckled up in the car.
Got the point i read this article in Google open kettle canning said that is it dangerous well , great idea ,
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

My grandmother sealed her jelly and jam using parafin wax. I remember it in jars, decorative glasses, even those little glasses that shrimp cocktail used to come it.

Would I not boil mine,no. If you are concerned I would just decline to eat the jam.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Head Chef

And of course the paraffin wax method of sealing as long ago been determined unsafe and not recommended.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
And of course the paraffin wax method of sealing as long ago been determined unsafe and not recommended.
I didn't say it was safe or recommended, I was just pointing out how things have changed from wax to open kettle to the current recommendations, including the jars used. I guess I wasn't quite clear. Personally I always put mine in a hot water bath and process, same for my tomatoes and pickles.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

Velochic, I don't know what recipe the OP has used and I should likely have clarified that before giving my answer. My bad, sorry folks. However, I have never made jam that hasn't been boiled and then ladled into hot sterilized jars. I'm fairly certain that boiling the jam killed any germs that might have been in there. I also know that the amount of sugar I use in my jam inhibits bacterial growth. I always thought that was sort of neat so I did a bit of research on the subject. In case anyone is interested, here are two of the bits I read.

Link one

Link two WARNING...this one is about using sugar to help nasty wounds to heal and there are pictures.