January meat deals and canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
Is it just me or is January an excellent month for meat deals? I found fifteen lbs of meat for $2.99 a pound at Save A Lot which I canned into seven, quart jars. Only one pound of waste! Then I wanted to can pork and I thought I'd have a hard time finding cheap pig meat. That same weekend I found twenty pounds of pork loin roast for $1.59 a pound on Manager's Special at Kroger I'm canning that up today. The only thing I need to can now is chicken and I'll probably try to make my canned meats last through the year. Has anybody else noticed January is an awesome month for meat deals?

I just bought 4 pork loins this past weekend. They were 1.59 per lb. Too good of a deal to pass up. I got sausages, chops, ground pork, char siu, and a couple of small roasts out of it. I shrink wrap and freeze....

Last edited:
In central New York beef prices have been down, I bought a whole eye of chuck for $2.49/pound with very little waste and this week several stores have had good ground beef under three dollars a pound. Whole turkeys and roasting chickens have been running .79 cents to .89 cents a pound. I haven't noticed much change in the price of pork.

This time of year the price of chicken wings, in my area, soars because of all the sporting events especially the Super Bowl.

It definitely pays to shop the dips! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom