"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Jelly-making - some questions

i have two questions. the first is the jelly i made only yielded me one pint and an almost full pint. the almost full pint is about half an inch away from the neck. i processed them in a water bath, but im wondering if the almost full pint will be ok?
my second question is, if i double a jelly recipe and the pectin will the jelly still be ok or is there a chance on messing up the jelly?
thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I would not double the recipe. You really should not mess with canning recipes.

Just out of curiosity, why pint jars and not jelly jars? Most jelly recipes and processing times are for small jelly jars or half jelly jars? How many jars did the recipe say it would make?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

thats the thing the recipe didnt say, and i honestly didnt think about jelly jars. i got the recipe online and it just said ball/kerr jars and made a reference to quart size. however the pic made me think pint jars.
here is the link to the recipe
How to Make Watermelon Jelly - Easily!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

im gonna make some more tomorrow and ill get jelly jars. looking closer at the pictures i see they are smaller than the pints
Old 05-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Yes, those are jelly jars in the picture. You can find them at most big-box stores (WalMart, Target, K-Mart) but you can also find them at smaller hardware stores (like Tru-Value and ACE) and many times they are cheaper there along with the rest of the canning supplies.

If this is your first time canning PLEASE follow the directions for sterilizing your jars and equipment and processing the jars. This recipe, to me, is a bit loose/rambling with it's instructions. I'd look up the FDA instructions and read those as well.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

it is my first time with jelly but not with canning. all my jars, lids, etc are boiled. i appreciate your input thanks.