Juice for jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spryteness

Assistant Cook
Hi, there...I'd like to try my hand at making jelly but am unsure about what juice I can use to make it. The Ball book says to cook the fruit and then let it drip through a strainer to get the juice. Can I use juice that I get from my juicer? It seems easier but will it work? Should I strain it? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

No, you want to cook fruit such as strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, apples, grapes. Bring them to a boil and let simmer to get the juice. Get a package of SureJell and follow the directions in it.

Thank you for the reply! :) I was afraid that's what I was going to hear. Does anybody know why the fruit has to be cooked first?

It's just the way you make jelly. If you want to make apple jelly you can juice it with a juicer and use the SureJell. You get much more juice. How much juice would you get from a quart of strawberries from a juicer? Or other berries? It isn't a big deal to cook it.

Thank you! I was looking to make apple jelly, and it seemed like I should be able to use it from the juicer. I'll give it a shot and see how it comes out. Thanks again! :)

Spryteness said:
Thank you for the reply! :) I was afraid that's what I was going to hear. Does anybody know why the fruit has to be cooked first?

Fruits (some more than others) contains pectins. when boiled, they 'set' and gell the fruit. You can set them by boiling juice too, but there aren't enough in the juice to make it set. (Hence adding the sure-jell or similar product...)

John

I have used 100% juice no sugar added bottled juice to make my jellies with and had good success apple and grape did the best I even did orange pineapple and cranapple. they turned out real good

Yes, You have to strain the juice. it makes fora clearer jelly.
I just made 12 pints of Plum Jelly. Most books recommend straining through a double thickness of Cheese Cloth, I used an old T-shirt (after boiling it and rinsing it well)Worked great!

BTW, I also used the left over pulp, after the juice was extracted, to make Plum jam. Just added about two cups of fresh fruit and 1 cup of water and cooked it down.

Enjoy,
Charlie

Back
Top Bottom