"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorebev
Betty that sounds good, I would love to see what it looks like thank you. I will have to try this.
I'll be making some in a couple of days and I'll snap a picture for you.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

one other question, What hoppens if you use sure-jell that is out of date? I have some and my husband thinks it will be fine.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I wouldn’t use out of date Sure-Jell; I don’t think they would put an expiration date on the box if it didn’t loose its potency over time.

If it doesn’t jell you can rescue it but it’s a lot of trouble. It’s a lot less hassle to make sure all your ingredients are fresh before you start.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Jelly is clear and is made from the fruit's juice. There are no pieces of fruit in jelly.

Jam is made with the fruit and contains pieces of the fruit along with jelled liquid.

Preserves are jams with bigger pieces of fruit in the jar. Don't ask, I don't know how much bigger. All the jars in the market seem to be of preserves rather than jams.
Andy, Thank you.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I wish I could ge my hands on some fresh black currants! They make great jelly, and are good made into a sauce of sorts. I've made blackberry jelly/jam both from wild and cultivated ones in my back yard It is my favorite! Well, next to crab apple! Apple jelly and grape I can buy for 99 cents a quart!

I'll be more than happy to send you cople-three branches, it's all you need to plant the plant. By next year you'll have the fresh berries. Let me know.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
Executive Chef

"I wouldnít use out of date Sure-Jell; I donít think they would put an expiration date on the box if it didnít loose its potency over time. "

You're right, Betty. I learned that the hard way.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Silentmeow, can you give me some pointers on how you process elderberries? We planted 5 bushes last year and they really took off. I'm trying to juice using the same method I use for grapes, but I am not satisfied with the results. I've seen recipes for elderberry pie.....but what about those seeds. I'm really a novice here, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Moosetoo, I cut the stems off with the berries attached. I stick the whole stem plus berries into a plastic bag which ends up being many plastic bags! When I get home I put on plastic gloves, really stains the fingers, and strip all the berries off the stems into a large pot. There will be some stems in there and probably some bugs. When I've striped the berries off and the pot is full I wash them which removes some of the stems and hopefully the bugs! Then I dump out or strain out the water and put the pot on the stove over low heat. I cook the berries until they are soft and attack them with a potato masher, squishing the juice out. I pour it through a metal strainer and if I think I've missed a lot I repeat the process. This can be strained several times if you want absolutely no seeds. I've only made jelly with the juice, not sure how good it would be for a pie. I don't make pies because if I did we would eat them! I freeze the juice to use when I want. It's an unusual flavor and store bought can't compare, too much sugar! Keep an eye on the berries as the birds can strip a bush in no time! Hope this helps, it's more of a method than a recipe! I spent money for an appliance that would remove the seeds and found it useless, the seeds plugged up the strainer so I do it the old fashioned way! Have fun and keep me posted!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thank you, Silentmeow. That was very helpful.