Key West Pineapple Relish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I ran across this recipe on the pickle site, and thought how good this would be as an accompaniment for a holiday baked ham.

Key West Pineapple Relish

Ingredients :
4 lb peeled cored ripe pineapple coarsely chopped
2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
2 piece cinnamon stick - (2" ea)
2 tsp whole cloves

Method :
* Coarsely crush cinnamon and wrap in cheesecloth with the cloves. Combine all ingredients in a 2- to 3-quart non-reactive saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar.
* Reduce the heat to moderate and, stirring from time to time, cook uncovered for about 30 minutes or until pineapple is translucent and mixture is thick enough to hold its shape.
* Discard spices and ladle into sterilized jars or serve immediately.
* This recipe yields 2 cups.
s

I ran across this recipe on the pickle site, and thought how good this would be as an accompaniment for a holiday baked ham.
Yes the cloves lend this recipe instantly to ham. I can't help but wonder (perhaps if the cloves were omitted/swapped with something else) how it would taste with fish, perhaps something in the white fish family? Or red snapper?

Piccolina said:
Yes the cloves lend this recipe instantly to ham. I can't help but wonder (perhaps if the cloves were omitted/swapped with something else) how it would taste with fish, perhaps something in the white fish family? Or red snapper?

You'd like to use it with fish? Cut the cinnamon and cloves, add a tsp of grated ginger and a 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper, plus a little grated lemon zest.
If you don't want the hot pepper, use pink or green peppercorns.

cliveb said:
You'd like to use it with fish? Cut the cinnamon and cloves, add a tsp of grated ginger and a 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper, plus a little grated lemon zest.
If you don't want the hot pepper, use pink or green peppercorns.

What type of fish would you recommend? and cooking method, please.

I've used a similar relish/chutney with:
Grilled shrimp, prawns and mixed seafood
Fritti Misti ( that glorious Italian mix of battered, fried seafood)
Sushi grade tuna - just sizzled each side to seal and served very rare
Salmon steaks

The relish/chutney is strong in flavour so works well with strong fish flavours. I wouldn't serve it with, for example, Dover Sole.

Good luck!

I've used this mixture with:
Grilled shrimp, calamari and lobster
Fritti Misti ( Italian deep-fried battered seafood)
Red snapper
Salmon steaks.

Given its dominating flavour, you need a strong flavoured fish to go with it. My preference for cooking methods would be grilled, fried or even baked.
I'd avoid mild, subtle flavoured fish like sole.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom