Kimchi Kimchee long fermented

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I kind of got busy with my pears and forgot about my Kimchi and my saurkraut I started. So early this week I cleaned up the top of them, they had dried out and started to discolor, I added a little salt. They smelled fine = fine being stinky like kimchi smells and saurkraut smells. I added water too, up to the lid. The water to cabbage ratio seems a bit higher than I usually have (more water than usual). After fermenting 2 weeks, is there any chance I've let it ferment too long or created a hazard if I eat them? Anyone with ideas? TIA ~Bliss

I have no idea, but don't they bury the clay Kimchi pots in the ground like forever?
I've only had it 3-4 times, but it was oh so good, and hot and spicey. Cleared my sinuses right out. Yum!

Hi quick, feeling older today? ;)
I did some reading the past few days. It said that I could let it ferment 5 or 6 weeks in one article, depending on the temperature (cool). I'm not so worried now. I'm thinking we'll eat some up and can the rest (hot water bath). Yum, wish I had brought some to work for lunch today. (though the evil manager has said it stinks too much for me to bring back into the office :LOL:) ~Bliss

Ive made saurkraut twice. The first time was during cooler months, and it took a good 4 - 6 weeks. The second time was over the summer, I tried to keep it in a cooler part of the house, but still progressed much more quickly (about 3 weeks). Im sure things will turn out fine. Im just about due to make another batch of saurkraut. Im actually the type of person who likes the way it tastes in all stages. So I taste it each day. Bt the time its ready, ive already eaten 1/2 of it.

My kimchi goes for a week and gets dry on top. Just squish it back down a bit.
Since it is fermenting along happily, I doubt it is bad.
How does it taste?

It is time for me to make another batch, come to think of it. Kimchi is my night time snack these days.

All this talk about kimchi just got me in the mood to make it. Anyone care to share their recipe with me ? I looked a few up online, but there were so many variations, hard to choose.

2 large heads napa cabbage (about 5-6 pounds)
2 cups or so of mustard greens, optional
1 or 2 bunch green onions
1 head garlic
2 inches ginger
1 cup Korean chili powder (worth hunting down in Asian market)
generous 1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tsp shrimp paste
2 tsp anchovy paste
2 tsp or so sugar
2-infinity cayenne, thai or other red peppers, to taste
1 cup pickling/sea/non-iodized salt.

If you can't find the Korean chili powder, you can use any pure chili powder
or flakes. Until I scored some, I used a mix of 2 types from a Latino store, with some paprika for coloring. Mix to your heat level desired.

Mix salt into a gallon or so of water.
Cut napa cabbages into fourths, remove stem end. Then cut into about 1 inch segments.
Place in brine, let sit overnight. If you can, weight it down.

Chop all the other ingredients except the greens.
I mince half the garlic, and rough chop half.
Ginger is half grated, half chopped.
Green onions I cut into 1/2 inch segments. The whites get halved then cut.
Mix all of this very well. Refrigerate overnight.
If everything sits for 2 days, that's OK too.

Drain cabbage from water, rinse well. I squeeze it out 3 times in fresh water, to reduce the salt.
Mix the flavorings into the cabbage very well. You don't want to miss any cabbage.
Now is when you add the chopped up mustard green leaves.
Pack into a glass or good plastic jar. Leave at least 2 inches of head space at the top.
Cover loosely, place in a cool location for a week or so.
Prepare to become a kimchi addict.
If you like it hotter, mince up a fresh pepper or two and add to your serving!

Approved by all my wife's Asian grad students as Good! LOLOL

the kimchi and sauerkraut tastes good. Gosh, thank you guys for your comments. I'm feeling more confident about it now. ~Bliss

I tend to leave out the fish pastes, just my taste. As far as I know the stuff is eternal. Winter kimchee is zestier, I prefer summer, before it gets fizzy. Yeah, I'm a wimp!

I just made Kimchi Chigae (Kimchi Stew) with Kimchi that had been in my fridge for three months. Kimchi does develop a sour taste, but for making a stew the older the better. Some restaurants now store (in the cold) Kimchi for up to two years. Traditionally in Korea Kimchi was made in the fall, placed in crocks and used all winter until fresh was made with the spring crop of cabbage.

As time goes by liquid will come out, use that in your Kimchi Chigae.

I made it once - used a 1 gallon pickle jar.
I used nappa and carrots and scallions and even daikon
The nappa, carrots, daikon were salted overnight.
I layered all in the jar with cayenne and fresh jalepeno
added water and salt and let it go almost 2 months.

It was wonderful and I am in the mood to make it again:)

Happpened to see Bourdain in Korea this AM.
He visited a factory where they make Kimchi, Soysauce and
fermented beancurd.

They used nappa cabbage whole and stuffed each individual
leaf with a mixture of mustard greens, daikon, anchovies, raw oysters,
a couple of other things I forget - all mixed with lots and lots of
hot peppers.

They put the cabbages, whole, into an earthenware pot - covered it,
put into ground and leave it for 2 months.

My husband says that when he was in Korea (early 70s) they served summer or winter kimchee. The winter variety was very strong, having fermented for ages. The summer would be served fresh, so you didn't have that fermented flavor. I, too, saw the Bourdain episode, and I can do without all the seafood in mine; I like a more simple one, salt, peppers, green onions, garlic and prefer it only aged a week or two. I learned from talking to Korean military wives, who approved of my version when they ate it. It is a staple (or was I should say) when I lived in Hawaii; not only would you find it in every Korean restaurant (which were everywhere), but at every plate lunch wagon, every little storefront place that served a variety of "Hawaiian" foods, and always, always, always at any potluck.

Oh, a few restaurants made "Kimchee Omelets", can't say I tried them.

I saw the "Kimchee Omelets" on the menu a few times but could not order one.

I remember a place in Honolulu that was named Kimchee something. So So food but great name.

Back
Top Bottom