Kiwi jam question......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The recipe calls for pectin however it doesn't specify what size box to use (calls for powdered pectin). Also somebody who made the recipe says it was too sweet for their taste. Wondering if I could cut back on the amount of sugar the originally recipe calls for or would it mess up the recipe? It calls for pineapple juice and kiwi, both are which acidic, so I'm assuming that cutting back on the sugar wouldn't make the recipe unsafe to eat? I would like to cut the amount of sugar the recipe calls for to 2 cups. Also I know in some recipes you can use a little bit of butter which prevents foam from forming (that way you don't have to skim it off). Can I do that with this recipe? If so, how much butter should I add (1 teaspoon, 2 teaspoons, etc.)
  • 3 cups chopped peeled kiwi
  • 1 package dry pectin
  • 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 4 cups sugar
Combine kiwi, pectin and pineapple juice in a large saucepan.

Bring to a boil stirring constantly.

Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.

Return to a rolling boil.

Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat-skim off foam.

Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.

Last edited:
The recipe calls for pectin however it doesn't specify what size box to use (calls for powdered pectin).
Recipe generally work by "package" for pectin so you would use 1 package of dry pectin for the amount of fruit specified.

Also somebody who made the recipe says it was too sweet for their taste. Wondering if I could cut back on the amount of sugar the originally recipe calls for or would it mess up the recipe?
Do NOT alter tested canning recipes. I know everyone has the tendency to want to do that, but it is potentially dangerous.

The amount of sugar is required for the "pectin." If you want to change the amount of sugar, change the pectin to use a "no sugar required" pectin. You can then reduce the sugar, use artificial sweeteners, or no sugar at all.

There is also a different kind of pectin called "Pomona" that uses Calcium instead of sugar as the gelling agent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom