Kraut Katastrophe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
We had a kraut katastrophe tonight. I made the yaeger schnitzel for dinner again since it was such a big hit last week and Kathleen asked nicely. The plan was to grab some more kraut from the crock in the basement.

When I opened the crock we have mold blooms everywhere inside. And the smell.. oh my.. UGH. Horrible. So the rest of that crock is now in the garbage but we are, to say the least, disappointed.

I think what happened is this. The crock has a water lock. You pour some water into the rim and it covers the bottom of the lid. There are two small vent holes in the lid that are covered, but they burp if need be. When we got the kraut out the other night we noticed the water lock ring was a bit slimy. Before we put the lid back on we cleaned out the water in there and and got rid of the slime (probably dust mixed with the water). I suspect we contaminated the crock with that water somehow. We use some long tongs to pull the kraut out, though I have pull up the weight stones by hand. They stayed in the crock so I know they were not contaminated by sitting them down somewhere that they could pick up something.

The upside is we were down to the last bit. I might have gotten two more meals (big ones) or three small meals. Just a couple of pounds left out of the 8ish that we put in. The downside is it was really getting a nice deep flavor.

I suppose it is time to pick up more cabbage now.

We really did enjoy it, and this incident will not stop us from having another go at it. We were discussing it last night and I think we will make another crock, and when it is ready can it up, then start the next crock to have it fresh. :)

We had a kraut katastrophe tonight. I made the yaeger schnitzel for dinner again since it was such a big hit last week and Kathleen asked nicely. The plan was to grab some more kraut from the crock in the basement.

When I opened the crock we have mold blooms everywhere inside. And the smell.. oh my.. UGH. Horrible. So the rest of that crock is now in the garbage but we are, to say the least, disappointed.

I think what happened is this. The crock has a water lock. You pour some water into the rim and it covers the bottom of the lid. There are two small vent holes in the lid that are covered, but they burp if need be. When we got the kraut out the other night we noticed the water lock ring was a bit slimy. Before we put the lid back on we cleaned out the water in there and and got rid of the slime (probably dust mixed with the water). I suspect we contaminated the crock with that water somehow. We use some long tongs to pull the kraut out, though I have pull up the weight stones by hand. They stayed in the crock so I know they were not contaminated by sitting them down somewhere that they could pick up something.

The upside is we were down to the last bit. I might have gotten two more meals (big ones) or three small meals. Just a couple of pounds left out of the 8ish that we put in. The downside is it was really getting a nice deep flavor.

I suppose it is time to pick up more cabbage now.
Such a shame when food has to be thrown away.

Your remark about the smell reminded me of my childhood. There was a German lady living next door in the adjoining house. Every year she made sauerkraut and the first time she did it we couldn't work out what the smell was and where it was coming from. Mother had never scoured our drains so often or so well! Bottle after bottle of bleach and disinfectant went down them until we discovered the source of the smell.

I'm very fond of sauerkraut but I buy it in glass jars - I don't think I could cope with the making thereof!.

Then you would be missing out.;) Love homemade kraut, it's in my blood!:yum:

I'm sorry, Frank. I know you and Kathleen were enjoying it. Personally, I won't touch the stuff, but Shrek loves it!

regrets to interject reality, but:

the pH / acidity and/or salt content of a proper sauerkraut pot precludes growth of said same such.

there is an undefined / unknown issue at work in this situation.

I buy the sauerkraut in the glass jars. I am not ready to make my own yet, but someday I shall!

DA dislikes sauerkraut, so I just keep some in my basement lair. I have two grills on the patio, one is gas and the other is charcoal. DA will sometimes not eat very much for dinner if she is very tired, and so sometimes I grill a nice bratwurst, put it into a submarine sandwich roll, put a strip of extra sharp cheddar cheese in the roll, put the bratwurst on top of the cheese, and put on top sauerkraut, mustard, grated red onions and bacon bits.

This is very good!

Your friend,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom