Lee Clark's Pepper Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Lee Clark's Pepper Jelly
1-1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sweet red bell peppers
1/2 cup jalapeno peppers
All peppers seeded and coarsely chopped
6 cups sugar
1 envelope Certo

Combine 1/2 cup vinegar with peppers in blender; pulse to fine chop (not mush). Add to sugar in large sauce pan. Rinse blender with remaining 3/4 cup vinegar and add to sugar. Mix sugar, peppers, vinegar and heat on high stirring constantly until mixture boils. Turn down heat, add Certo, return to boil for 2 minutes. Pour into sterilized pint jars, seal, and can in water bath for 20 minutes. Store in cool dark place and refrigerate after opening.

I usually make several recipes to store and give away as gifts.

Serving suggestion: Soften a block of cream cheese, pour pepper jelly over and use Ritz crackers to scoop and dip.

This is my brothers recipe. He was also known for making odd things such as garlic fudge and jalapeno cheese cake.

Last edited:
I made a "chilli jam" from a Nigella Lawson recipe but it didn't really set properly. Your recipe sounds good, I think I'll use that one for Christmas presents this year. Is there a specific sugar i should use please?

I know you have different names for some things, like icing sugar, which we call confectioners suger. The sugar used in the jelly is the same as what would be used in actual cake batter. It is in crystal form about equal in size to table salt.

i will be making this soon. thanks to kth for the inspiration, and craigsy for stealing your brother's recipe. :mrgreen:

i'm sorry to make a wise crack. :neutral:

i will make it in his honour, then.

He always liked wise cracks and being a wise a$$. In fact, he didn't want a funeral, wanted a party with lots of music/booze/good food/friends and that's what he got!

We found out it makes a pretty good glaze for BBQ shrimp, just brush on right at very end. Probably would be good on chicken or pork too. I also saw where somebody was using pepper jelly for a topping for plain cheesecake. We'll have to give that a try next time I make one.

I make a similar pepper jelly, but it has a bit of lime juice and calls for more pectin. It's sometimes too stiff...I'll have to try these proportions.

We love jalapeno cheesecake. I only make it for gatherings because I will eat the whole thing. Your brother might have appreciated my Christmas cheesecake....I was verrrry proud of my holly...green jal half-rounds and red jal holly berries.

Garlic fudge? Now that would be interesting! Got recipe?

img_1389250_0_5905b2ea3285bb7f336cc86390b65f36.jpg

Garlic fudge? Now that would be interesting! Got recipe?

He actually did but we don't have it. I tired it but wasn't thrilled to say the least. There's a cookbook though from the Gilroy Garlic Fest that I believe does if you want to look for it or try to Google it.

Pretty cheesecake and makes me want to give the pepper jelly topped cheesecake a whirl even more.

Back
Top Bottom