"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Which one? We have four.
And I thought two I have in the kitchen was bad.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Which one? We have four.
I thought I was bad with two (I guess that would be the same cu ft space per person that you have since it is just you and Mrs. K)!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

A friend's mom always made these with those cukes that get too big in the garden. I like to use a 1/2 gal jar to make these and keep in the fridge--sort of a sour pickle flavor.

SV's Mom's German pickled cucumbers
Peel and core cukes, keep in long strips.
Sprinkle pieces generously with salt, and let stand overnight (to soften).
Next day, dry pieces thoroughly.
I found a German recipe, for measurements, though mom used more mustard seed and less vinegar, just to make brine and keep from spoiling, more like half that amount)
2,5 kg gut ausgewachsene Landgurken (well ripened cucumber - as in yellow skins)
3 - 4 EL gelbe Senfkörner (EL= tablespoon, mustard seed)
1 EL Pfefferkörner (pepper corns)
2 Lorbeerblätter (bay leaf)
1 Liter hellen Essig (white vinegar)
(aus Essigessenz, 1 Teil Essenz auf 4 Teile Wasser) 1 part citric acid to 4 parts water
1 Liter Wasser (water)
2 gestrichene EL Salz (level tablespoon salt) This is above and beyond the original salt.
3 - 4 gestrichene EL Zucker (level tbsp sugar)
Bring all ingredients to a boil except for the cukes. Let cool somewhat, pour over the cucumber pieces. Here you can either put in stone pot and refrigerate, let soak at least a week, or can them. Test to make sure the taste is yummy, and the pieces are floppy.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You're not supposed to close the band tightly. If you do that, it will explode in the water bath from the air pressure. Canning directions say to turn the band finger-tight - turn it with your fingers just till it stops, so that it's closed but not tightly.
Trust me, you do hear the pop. If you don't you will be able to easily open the jar because no vacuum was formed.
I tried hanging around waiting on the "pop" but got bored. I looked for the lid to be indented inwards with no spring back.
I guess it worked as we did not get sick.

Quote:
First of all, don't confuse the term "pickling" with "canning". Generally speaking, pickling uses acidic brine to preserve foods, and doesn't require a heat source. The only requirement is that the brine have a pH of 4.6 or less, as this creates an environment where most bacteria are unable to live. You can acidify the brine yourself with vinegar, which is the easiest method, but even vinegar isn't required. Another way to pickle is to simply add water and salt to your vegetables and allow the mixture to ferment for several weeks. With this method, bacteria converts sugars and starches within the food to organic acid. At some point, the bacteria that create the acid can no longer live in the environment they have created and will die off as well. Essentially, it's controlled spoilage. This method works for many garden vegetables: cucumbers, carrots, beans, you name it. You can even pickle meats.

Incidentally, sauerkraut is nothing more than pickled cabbage.

Canning involves sterilization and is a different process. You can certainly can pickles, but if you're going to eat them within 6 months or so, it isn't really necessary. Just throw them in the fridge to retain their crispness.
Thanks. A very good explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
As GG mentioned, the bands should only be finger tight when you close the jars for canning. It isn't supposed to be air tight. The air heats up in the hot water bath and expands. As it expands some of it escapes from the jar.

When that air that is left in the jar cools, it contracts and that is what causes the "vacuum" seal.
So you finish tightening the band after they pop and cool? Or are they done after they pop and require no further tightening.
I read the instructions on the "Ball" canning jars and they do not provide much information on how to use them at all.
Same with the bands and tops.
Its almost as if they are afraid to tell you anything for fear you die and someone sues them.
A bit scary doing these things at home frankly.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
So you finish tightening the band after they pop and cool? Or are they done after they pop and require no further tightening.
I read the instructions on the "Ball" canning jars and they do not provide much information on how to use them at all.
Its almost as if they are afraid to tell you anything for fear you die and someone sues them.
A bit scary doing these things at home frankly.
You don't need to tighten the lids after they "pop". Seems to me that there is a test to see if they are sealed properly by the noise you get from tapping the lid with a spoon. Maybe someone knows.

If you are short of rings, you can take off the ring and use it on another jar. I have often stored canned stuff with just the properly sealed lid and no ring.

BTW, I learned all about canning from the 1975 edition of Joy of Cooking. I have since looked at more up to date instructions and the ones in Joy are still good. I haven't verified canning times for water bath canning or pressure and time for pressure canning. So, I would verify those. If you happen to have that version of Joy of Cooking, have a look.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
On the contrary, they are more than happy to tell you anything you want to know. The secret is to throw out the crappy paper instructions and instead go to their excellent website. There you will find oodles of information on the canning process, as well as a number of recipes.

Website here: Ball® - Home Canning Supplies, Recipes, Guides and Mason Jars
Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You don't need to tighten the lids after they "pop". Seems to me that there is a test to see if they are sealed properly by the noise you get from tapping the lid with a spoon. Maybe someone knows.
To test the seal, remove the ring and try to pick up the jar with just the lid. If it comes off easily, it's not sealed. If it holds tightly to the jar, it's sealed.

RB, I know what you mean about it being scary. The first time I canned tomato sauce, I never opened and used it because I was so nervous about it. That was a long time ago. Now that I've learned more about it, it's much less nerve-racking.

I've been following this blog for quite a while, and DH gave me her book for Christmas a few years ago. She has lots of good information.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Can't contribute anything technical to this thread as you do things differently to us but I will say that almost all pickles improve with keeping for a while. It takes the sharp edge off the vinegar and mellows the flavour of the pickles.

(NB I don't mean storing them until the next millenium!)
Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
Cupcake

I'm hoping that I will get enough pickles to make 14-day pickles. Momma made the best 14-day pickles.

I had several cucumbers picked and so I made dill pickle chips over the weekend. They look pretty in the jar. All jars but one sealed. That jar went into the refrigerator where they will be the first ones eaten.

~Kathleen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 18.34.18.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	21535  
Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #20
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I had several cucumbers picked and so I made dill pickle chips over the weekend. They look pretty in the jar. All jars but one sealed. That jar went into the refrigerator where they will be the first ones eaten.

~Kathleen
Those look great!

Tags
technique