Mailing Canned Goods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Safe in that it is Ok to mail it, no problem. Safe as in will it arrive Ok, not too sure.:ohmy: Welcome to DC!

If you are going to mail only one jar of pickles, I suggest you first wrap the jar in bubble wrap, then place the jar into a box just about the size of the pickles. To ensure no breakage, place that box inside another box, which has been lined with bubble wrap. Make sure both boxes are sealed securely and mail your canned goodies.

If you are mailing more than one jar, I think you'd be safe doing what I just recommended but adding lots of wraps/layers of bubble wrap on/around the jars in the first box.

I used to ship a lot of antique china all over the world and no one ever received anything that was broken.

Good luck and congratulations to the lucky recipient of your canning skills.

Thank you. I was concerned the seal would pop if the box is dropped. The bubble wrap and double box will probably work great to cushion the jar.

Hummingbird, I mailed some pear butter to a friend, and wrapped it carefully, bubbled and more. There is the jar lid, which is all that is generally needed, but when mailing, it is recommended to put the screw cap back on (if you removed it in the first place), to insure that if the jar lid is displaced at any point, the jar/contents/moisture do not mess up the entire box. My mailing was still a success and yours will probably will be too.

I've mailed pickled green beans and apple butter all over to friends and family. Never a problem. As said, use plenty of bubble wrap, maybe some styrofoam, and lots of packing tape! I also put the screw cap back on.

I've mailed small jars of preserves without any problems. I'm sure you can mail pickles too. But as it was Said, it has to be packaged properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom