Making apple butter in the crockpot (slowcooker)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The recipe I found is for crockpot apple butter. It specifies to spoon it into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. of headspace. My question is, is this necessary, or can I just keep it in the refrigerator? By doing so (storing in the fridge) will the flavor or texture of it diminish? If I have to put it in the freezer the only concerns are these; I don't know how to defrost fruit butters as I've never made a fruit butter before. Second, I'm afraid I'll run into the problem of the fruit butter being watery when I do defrost it.How do I defrost it and how do I prevent it from becoming watery when I do defrost it? I would post the link to the recipe, but I don't have enough posts to copy and paste links into posts yet.

It's fine in the refrigerator, if it is going to be consumed in a couple weeks or so. Longer storage requires freezing to preserve. Remember, homemade apple butter contains no preservatives that would allow for longer storage in the refrigerator like commercially prepared items.

You defrost by putting it in the refrigerator since it is warmer than the freezer. It may take a day or two. If it seems watery, stir it to reblend.

I make crockpot apple butter all the time and I can mine. It is so good in the winter time!!!

I make crockpot apple butter all the time and I can mine. It is so good in the winter time!!!

That would be the way to go. It would only take a few minutes in a boiling water bath, and once it's been canned, you can open a jar and it will keep in the fridge for months (until it molds). That's because it has enough sugar in it to keep out the bacteria. It's the same with jelly. In that way, the bacteria are smarter than we are...they know sugar isn't food.

That would be the way to go. It would only take a few minutes in a boiling water bath, and once it's been canned, you can open a jar and it will keep in the fridge for months (until it molds). That's because it has enough sugar in it to keep out the bacteria. It's the same with jelly. In that way, the bacteria are smarter than we are...they know sugar isn't food.

I very seldom water bath anything. I find it just as easy to use my canner. I have well water so I try to use as little water as possible, plus if I have any bacteria in my water, I want to make sure it is all dead. Besides I have the cutest little guy in the world (grandson) who just loves to eat Nana's food - so I don't want to take any chances!

I don't really have a recipe. I do it all by taste, but here is one that I based it on. This is what my dad used, but I am sure he doctored it up to taste.

If you buy 1 Gallon can of Sweetened Applesauce use only 3 Cups of White Sugar.

If you make your own applesauce use 4 Quarts applesauce, 7 Cups white sugar, 4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves or more if you like.

Mix it all together in crock pot, set on high with lid on cook 10 hours, take lid off, cook 2 hours. Seal in jars. Makes approx. 6 pints.

I always taste mine throughout the process. I only add about 1/2 the sugar to begin with and then add more until it is the sweetness I like. I like lots of cinnamon in mine so I always put more in.

I also might not cook it as long as the recipe calls for. It depends on how thick you like it. A way to test the thickness is to put a spoonful on a plate and if the water pools around it then it is probably too thin. You don't want too much water pooling around it.

When I make my own I usually make a huge electric roaster full. Also, my dad always put it in jars capped it and let it seal without processing. I used to do it that way, but now I usually put mine in a pressure canner. You can also water bath it if you want, but I usually find it just as easy to put it in the pressure canner. It uses less water and doesn't take that long. I do 10lbs. pressure for 10 minutes.

Once you have tasted homemade apple butter you will never buy it in the grocery store again!

Here's one out of my files:

Apple Butter (Crockpot)

7 cups applesauce -- natural
2 cups apple cider
1 1/2 cups honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves -- optional
1/2 teaspoon allspice

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 14 to 15 hours or until mixture is a deep brown.

Spoon hot apple butter into hot sterilized Mason jars and seal, then process half-pints or pints 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Source: "http://mywoodenspoon.com/recipes/"
Yield: "8 half-pints"

Thanks for the recipes.... DH goes through this stuff in record time... and at $5 a jar, I can stand to save a few $$!

I am sure he will love the homemade that he won't want you to buy the store apple butter anymore.

I have never figured out how much it costs to make, but I know it is not anywhere near $5.00.

This year I made my own applesauce.

The apples were free - just my labor of picking, but I needed the exercise anyways.
The jars I already have.
The water for the canner is well water so I only pay a small amount of electricity to get out of the faucet.
With the gas and electricity used - I am guessing .50 cents a jar.
The lids cost me .13 cents a piece.
My labor free.
Ingredients are very cheap (I buy in bulk).
I am just guessing maybe $2.00 a jar if that.

Best of all giving my family something really good . . . . . . PRICELESS!

I haven't had apple butter in a long time, and it seems funny to me that now I've been reading about it - I have a very strong craving for some! :)

I made apple butter once and it takes a lot of low and slow cooking and stirring; the stuff just loves to burn. However, I did not use a crockpot. I did it on top of the stove.

Back
Top Bottom