"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

From my understanding, no.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

It's so easy to make whatever quantity of garlic oil you need whenever you need it that I wouldn't risk potentially fatal food poisoning by storing it. Just crack and peel a clove or two and put it in a saucepan with however much oil you need over low heat for about 10 minutes, or less for small quantities. Presto, garlic oil :-)

This page has a good description of what you're risking: It's Your Health - Garlic-In-Oil

Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

GotGarlic--- Thanks for the link. This thread has been an eye-opener. I have innocently assumed anything drowned in oil would be safe. It's fresh infusion only from now on.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef

So, if i got Oil, fresh chilli's and fresh cloves of garlic, could I or couldn't I put it in a jar and make chilli/garlic oil out of it, and would i definately have to put it in the fridge?

My mum has a thing of oil and chilli's outside of the fridge, thats all that is in it.

I have never made anything in a jar/can before and was thinking about the chilli/garlic oil for ages and just never did it.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

If the jar your mom has was professionally produced, that's a different from homemade.

You have to combine the ingredients; oil, chiles, garlic; and heat to infuse the flavors then refrigerate and consume within 10 days to two weeks.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Oh, she just dumped chilli's in oil and they have been there for ages and ages!

So what actually happens if you don't heat it?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm curious- what do they actually do to the commercially available infused oils that make them shelf stable? Is it similar to a pasteurization process?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

The heating just speeds up the extraction of the flavors into the oil.

I don't know what they do in factories. There is nothing you can do at home that will make the oil safe for longer terms.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
There is also an acid involved in the bottling process. I'm not really up on the whole thing because I just make as I need. If you take a small wide-mouthed jar and shove some very clean and dried herbs in it with some garlic, pour in enough oil to cover, and let it "marinate" for the day you will have a LOVELY oil to use for cooking, vinaigrettes, dipping, etc. I might make enough to last two days but that's about it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Well I just did some quick searching in response to my own question, and while I don't know if this is 100% accurate, it seems that the FDA requires all canned goods to go through a process called a "botulinum cook" that destroys all but a negligibly small percent of botulism bacteria. The botulinum cook requires that the product be held at a temp. of 250 F or 121 C for a minimum of 3 minutes.

I couldn't find any specific regulations on oil products, but I assume that bottled infused oils would fall within the realm of canned goods. If that's the case, then I imagine that the botulinum cook would be easily accessible to the home cook as an effective safety precaution when making infused oils. Does anyone have some information that I don't?