Malt vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpartin

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a recipe using malt vinegar. Had some given me and have never canned with it but know that you can. I am looking for a sweet pickle recipe, anyone have one????

I'm not aware of any modern safe canning recipes using Malt Vinegar, but you might find it used in brining for certain sweet pickles, etc., because of the less harsh flavor. It should not be used with some vegetables since it will darken them.

I don't can so can't help with that.. But if you are a fan of breaded and fried cod try sprinkling it over your fish it is great and a lot less fat than tarter sauce.
kadesma

I use my malt vinegar on homemade potato chips, French fries, and fried fish. LOVE it on French fries!!!!

Sorry, can't help you with the canning end of it though.

Malt vinegar can be used for canning as long as it has the same percentage of acid required in the usual white vinegar used. (I think it is 6%) I would look on the label to see if it gives you the percentage, or, you could do a lab experiment to measure it.

Vinegar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Malt

Malt vinegar is made by maltingbarley, causing the starch in the grain to turn to maltose. An ale is then brewed from the maltose and allowed to turn into vinegar, which is then aged. It is typically light brown in color. However, most supermarket vinegar is actually extracted from beetroot[citation needed].

http://www.mrswages.com/faq.asp#21

8.What kind of vinegar is best for pickling?Use a quality commercially prepared distilled white vinegar that has 5% acetic acid. Cider vinegar and malt vinegar can also be used but will darken the produce. However, malt vinegar imparts a delicate, sweet flavor and is desirable for many sweet pickle and chutney recipes.

Like Blissful said - the problem is knowing the acidity level of the vinegar. Most recipes (ok, all that I know of) are based on a minimum of 5% acidity - basic distilled white vinegar. If the label says it is 5% then it would be safe to use.

Back
Top Bottom