Marinate the meat before freezing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.mom

Senior Cook
Is it good to marinate the beef or chicken when they are still fresh, and then place them in the freezer for storage. The meat or chicken are going to be marinated someday so why not marinate them now while still fresh and freeze them to be then ready for cooking at any time?:chef:

If there is a lot of booze in the marinade, the meat might not freeze as solidly.

That's a good point. I wonder what the temperature of the meat would actually be, or if the meat would freeze, but the marinade wouldn't if you put it in the freezer right away :huh:
Someone needs to get a hold of Alton and tell him we need one more episode :LOL:

Someone needs to get a hold of Alton and tell him we need one more episode :LOL:
Yeah, what he said!

Actually I freeze marinated meat all the time. Our freezers get cold enough to freeze wine marinade. I personally wouldn't use hard liquor for a marinade anyway.

Yeah, what he said!

Actually I freeze marinated meat all the time. Our freezers get cold enough to freeze wine marinade. I personally wouldn't use hard liquor for a marinade anyway.

I got curious and started googling. U. of Illinois' Physics Department estimates that a typical red wine will freeze at -6C (~22°F).

What else would you expect from a bunch of physicists in a town called Champaign? ;)

Even if the meat/marinade did not freeze solid, it still would be the same temperature as the solidly frozen items in the freezer.

So it's not the freezing of food that preserves it, rather it is the storing of it at a certain temp, even if there is something inhibiting it from reaching a frozen state. Right? That makes sense.

The only negative I have experienced is with rubs or marinades that have a fair amount of salt in them.
The salt will predominate the flavors when the meat is thawed and cooked. This has been most true with poultry, fish and thinner cuts of pork or beef.
T

The only negative I have experienced is with rubs or marinades that have a fair amount of salt in them.
The salt will predominate the flavors when the meat is thawed and cooked. This has been most true with poultry, fish and thinner cuts of pork or beef.
T
I think this will be true because the salt will go inside the fibers and saturate for a long time during freezing

It has prompted me to re-formulate my rubs and marinades if they are going on meat that will be vacuum bagged and frozen.
I just reduce the salt by 50-75% depending on the situation.
T

It has prompted me to re-formulate my rubs and marinades if they are going on meat that will be vacuum bagged and frozen.
I just reduce the salt by 50-75% depending on the situation.
T

I have seen the advice to cut salt by 50% for some other items, if they will be frozen.

I would say 50% is a good starting point....if the meat will be slow thawed, and wait in the fridge over a period of a day or more - perhaps even more reduction in salt is warranted.
Bearing in mind of course - that we can add salt easily during or after the cook. But taking too much salt out of the meat is somewhat of a challenge:mrgreen:

I would say 50% is a good starting point....if the meat will be slow thawed, and wait in the fridge over a period of a day or more - perhaps even more reduction in salt is warranted.
Bearing in mind of course - that we can add salt easily during or after the cook. But taking too much salt out of the meat is somewhat of a challenge:mrgreen:

I remove meat from the marinade before freezing, and haven't noticed any problem with salt. I can see a problem with defrosting it in a marinade however.

Back
Top Bottom