"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #21
Master Chef

LIDS: ALWAYS use new lids for canning! The problem isn't so much the potential for bacteria or mold ... that will be killed with sanitizing (washing with soap and hot water) and sterilizing ... the problem is that the sealing compound is not designed for multiple uses. Although some people have done it, and gotten away with it - why risk it?

REUSING JARS: You can reuse some, others you should toss. Those that are labeled Ball or Mason you can probably safely reuse for boiling-water canning, and possibly pressure canning - if you use new lids!. Some jars used in commercial processing are not designed for the rigors of water canning - they are chemically sterilized and filled at around 185F and not designed to survive multiple processings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
What about those new(er) white plastic (single construction) lids that Ball or Mason sells? I love those, but so far have only used for freezer jam. The box does not indicate they are for freezer use only.
If these are what you are talking about:

read the label - it says, "Not for Processing. Ideal for Freezer Jams."

Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Guess it pays to read the fine print ... I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
LIDS: ALWAYS use new lids for canning! The problem isn't so much the potential for bacteria or mold ... that will be killed with sanitizing (washing with soap and hot water) and sterilizing ... the problem is that the sealing compound is not designed for multiple uses. Although some people have done it, and gotten away with it - why risk it?

REUSING JARS: You can reuse some, others you should toss. Those that are labeled Ball or Mason you can probably safely reuse for boiling-water canning, and possibly pressure canning - if you use new lids!. Some jars used in commercial processing are not designed for the rigors of water canning - they are chemically sterilized and filled at around 185F and not designed to survive multiple processings.
It was an experiment as it was my first time canning a food product. Just thought i'd give it a shot. I put the jars in my refrigerator last night just for safe sake and it is now 20 hours later and the safety buttons on the classico mason jars are still pressed in as i lucked out with them holding the vacuum.

P.S. Do you know where I can buy just the Mason lids?

Thanks to everyone else who has helped me with this as well. I really enjoy making my own tomato sauce but dont enjoy storing it in tupperware and filling up my freezer.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Does anyone know if these lids are made to fit the Classico tomato sauce jars in which red "Atlas Mason" ? Ball Regular Bands with Dome Lids from CanningPantry.com
Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #25
Sous Chef

I don't know, but your local hardware or discount store may have them on the shelf, which would an easier way to find out versus buying online, paying shipping and then not using them.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
P.S. Do you know where I can buy just the Mason lids?
You should be able to get them anywhere you buy canning supplies. Most super markets and hardware stores should carry them.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #27
Head Chef

The white plastic lids are NOT for canning purposes, only for regular storage. Ball has a couple recommended containers for freezer canning.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #28
Master Chef

"Mason" jars are reusable glass canning jars that can be made by one of 3-4 different companies these days ... using the term "Mason Jar" indicates they should conform to the general standard of the glass, diameter of the jar mouth (regular or wide), threads, and neck depth.

If I remember right - Classico Pasta Jars were the ones I reused - with new lids - for apple butter, applesauce, and homemade pasta sauce.

You can get jars and lids (the two piece lids and screw bands) at most grocery stores and some hardware stores year round. Most popular sizes you will find are 1/2 pint, pint and quart ... they also come in 1/2 gallon and gallon but those are usually hard to find. I know I could always find them at Tom Thumb and Albertsons - although the selection and quantity fluctuated during different times of the year.

You can also sometimes find canning supplies at WalMart - but they have a weird schedule of when they have them available (around here).

Hope this helps ....
Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
"Mason" jars are reusable glass canning jars that can be made by one of 3-4 different companies these days ... using the term "Mason Jar" indicates they should conform to the general standard of the glass, diameter of the jar mouth (regular or wide), threads, and neck depth.

If I remember right - Classico Pasta Jars were the ones I reused - with new lids - for apple butter, applesauce, and homemade pasta sauce.

You can get jars and lids (the two piece lids and screw bands) at most grocery stores and some hardware stores year round. Most popular sizes you will find are 1/2 pint, pint and quart ... they also come in 1/2 gallon and gallon but those are usually hard to find. I know I could always find them at Tom Thumb and Albertsons - although the selection and quantity fluctuated during different times of the year.

You can also sometimes find canning supplies at WalMart - but they have a weird schedule of when they have them available (around here).

Hope this helps ....
Thanks for the info Michael.
Would you consider tomato sauce to be a high acidity food?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Tomato sauce is definitely a high acidity food.