Mason jars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
....I'm wondering how many flies made their way into those jars?:wacko:
Probably too hot for flies, but dust, pollen, chicken poop and other possible outdoors stuff would not be out of the question. I guess it would just add to the special flavoring.

I sent an email to Heinz Corporation about reusing their Classico Tomato sauce jars for canning and they replied to me with this:

Dear Peter,

We do not recommend re-using the Atlas-Mason jars used to package our Classico Sauces. A coating is applied at the glass plant to reduce scratching and scuffing. If scratched, the jar becomes weaker at this point and can more easily break. This would increase the risk of the jar breaking when used for canning. Also, the lighter weight of our current jar could make it unsafe for home canning.

Should you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 800-255-5750.

Heinz Consumer Resource Center
Heinzconsumeraffairs@us.hjheinz.com

Petey--there is a line in there about "the current jar"--the ones I have are several years old, and seem, to my unscientific eyes, to be the same as my other mason jars.

I wonder if they have changed recently?

It is a real pain to have a jar break during canning--not worth the fifty cents or so each that it costs to buy real mason jars.

I personally don't can anything but have a lot of the jars from family members that do. I purchased the plastic lids referenced earlier and use the jars for croutons, popcorn, seasoning mixes I make myself, leftovers, just lots of stuff. They are also good to use on jellies and jams after you take off the metal lid to keep them fresh.

Geeze ... OK:

Heinz is an "end user" of a product they do not make. Do you expect them to take legal liability saying it's okey-dokey to use a product they don't make for a function that they do not produce products for?

If you had the Ball Blue Book and had read it - you would know that they also warn against using jars that are scratched because, "If scratched, the jar becomes weaker at this point and can more easily break. This would increase the risk of the jar breaking when used for canning," as Heinz correctly said. The BBB has instructions on not using metal utensils to remove air bubbles from jars because of this.

FWIW - I doubt that anyone who makes canning jars would guarantee them 100% safe from breakage.

Last edited:
Geeze ... OK:

Heinz is an "end user" of a product they do not make. Do you expect them to take legal liability saying it's okey-dokey to use a product they don't make for a function that they do not produce products for?

Makes sense Michael. To tell you the truth I didnt think i was going to get a reply saying to go ahead and re-use them. But I gave it a shot anyway.:ermm:

I kind of buy that sauce just to get those Atlas-Mason jars as a side product. Yah, no guarantees with anything, but at least they can be used with the standard 2-part canning lids and the glass is a canning quality or it wouldn't carry the name on it. I cringe when I hear about people reusing regular jars using the single lids.

I kind of buy that sauce just to get those Atlas-Mason jars as a side product. Yah, no guarantees with anything, but at least they can be used with the standard 2-part canning lids and the glass is a canning quality or it wouldn't carry the name on it. I cringe when I hear about people reusing regular jars using the single lids.

Hey, I did that. And it worked ;)

Back
Top Bottom