Mason jars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
I noticed that a couple of things I purchased came in jars that say Mason jar. Are these jars safe to use for canning or preserving? Does "Mason" mean the same as the jars I purchase for canning or preserving? Thanks.

Miss licia...

I would be interested in knowing what was in the jars you purchased. There are jars on the market that have the appearance of a Mason Type (canning jar) but are not the real deal. Those are not safe for canning. The most common brands of Mason type jars today are Kerr, Ball, Golden Harvest and maybe others. Just be careful that it is a true Mason type jar suitable for canning at high heat in a pressure canner

Enjoy!

A couple of the better brands of spaghetti sauce come in jars marked "Mason". I'm sure you could use them in a boiling water bath, but I don't think they're quite as heavy as a regular canning jar.
Back when I was canning, I even used mayonnaise jars sometimes. I did have one jar break in the canner once, but it didn't really explode...it just cracked, and the others were OK. After that, I saved those jars for pickles and such that I did in the water bath.

I use the Classico spaghetti sauce jars for canning in the pressure cooker. My SIL saves them for me.

They say Mason on them, and seem to be heavy glass just like the ones I buy.

Well Doggy! I didn't know those jars were out there. We used to use Mayo jars for tomaotes, etc. but never in the pressure canner. We were afraid they would crack.
Anyway, I can't fill up all the jars I have now.

Fun!

" I use the Classico spaghetti sauce jars for canning in the pressure cooker. "

I've used them when preserving in a hot water bath. Bernardin ( the Canadian equivalent of Kerr / Ball) makes mason lids that fit perfectly on them.

Thanks for all the input. It may have been spaghetti sauce, but I also noticed some grapefruit and citrus salad were both in jars marked "Mason". I don't do much long term canning - usually refrigerator pickles, etc. I have done fig preserves, but my aunt makes them better than I do and she gifted me with several jars. They are great for dessert.

First time canning with mason jar

I made a fresh pot of gravy/ tomato sauce and used classico sauce jars with the original lids that came with them. After cooling down i checked the safety seal button on each can and they were not popped. Is it safe to say that the job was successful and can be stored at room temperature ?:chef:

I made a fresh pot of gravy/ tomato sauce and used classico sauce jars with the original lids that came with them. After cooling down i checked the safety seal button on each can and they were not popped. Is it safe to say that the job was successful and can be stored at room temperature ?:chef:

I'd say you were lucky. You should always use new lids - same jars are fine - always new lids!

Is it safe to say that the job was successful and can be stored at room temperature ?:chef:
You got two big strikes against you. Use of single construction lids, which are not recommended at all for home canning, and second, using them a second time. Safe? No. Lucky, perhaps.

The potential for failure of the lids is very high, plus the potential to collect bacteria or mold underneath the lid, so you will need to use extreme caution when you finally decide to open the jars.

I have reused condiment jars in a canning fashion, but only for refrigerator storage and less than 6-12 months.

What about those new(er) white plastic (single construction) lids that Ball or Mason sells? I love those, but so far have only used for freezer jam. The box does not indicate they are for freezer use only.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom