My grandma's pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
My Gram passed away almost 3 years ago and until this year I couldn't bring myself to make these. While I was canning them the other night I was in tears just thinking about how proud my gram would have been to know I was carrying on with something she did every year. I thought my DD was going to eat them all before I got them in the jars. These are 3 of the 18 I've got done so far and i have another gallon and 1\2 going.

Attachments

• pickles.jpg
    pickles.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 235
What kind are they?
My sister used to make pickles. They start out sweet, but have a good kick to them burnwise. Stickier than heck. I ought to ask her for the recipe. She's the only person I can think of that ever made pickles in my family. I think it's pretty neat you carrying on your grandmother's tradition. I don't think anything has ever been handed down or passed on in my family. Tradition is nice.

She called them icicle pickles. They might be like your sisters, sweet but have a kick and stickey is an understatement. If you want the recipe let me know. easy to make, but they take about 10 days to complete.

Send it on!
I've been meaning to try my hand at pickling. And pickling pickles seems like the best place to start.
Now I gotta get me some jars.

The first thing you do is get a current copy of the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, the "bible" for preserving food, and/or go to National Center for Home Food Preservation and read everything.

Then you make sure you NEVER use those antique spring-clip glass jars for canning, but get the "mason" jars and 2-piece lids. Then you get a Boiling Water Canner to actually process your food so that bacteria is killed and your jars are safe to store on the pantry shelf.

If you really want to learn the ins and outs of preserving your food (canning, refrigerating, freezing, and dehydrating), you can take a short course for free at the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the above referenced link. Go about halfway down the page for the info. It's a self-study course at your own speed. If you successfully complete the 4-part course you will get a Certificate.

mcnerd, I'm sure you are posting just to keep mikki safe but boy did your post sound harsh.

mikki, just make sure you keep your pickles cold and they will be fine. Eat 'em quick (not like that will be a problem with those beauties!) too.

mcnerd has some good tips for you as well. I haven't pressure canned, I stick with just the regular plain old boiling water stuff and we're all still alive.

Actually, just found a jar of pickles that must be about 9 years old. I will see if the seal is intact and let you know what I found.

Don't forget to post that recipe for us mikki!

Printed words always seem harsh. Not meant to be so they should not be read that way.

But I guess if you do something that will potentially poison yourself (or friends) there is no fun way to warn someone before they take the next step.

Oh what a supreme compliment to your Grandmother! I'm certain she's smiling right now!

I know a woman who made the very very best crispest sweet pickles ever and I've always loved them - yes she gave me the recipe but I've lost it. But when I used them in Potato Salad they ended up looking blue the next day! Of course they were completely safe - Pickling is generally safe because of the acid level - but I gave some of my (very much loved I might add) potato salad to my neighbor and learned later that she'd picked out all of the blue bits :LOL:.

Her husband used to plant an acre for oher veggie garden and she worked so hard to preserve all that produce! But I don't think in all of the years they were married that she bought produce in a grocery store! He hunted and fished and I believe they didn't buy meat in a grocery store often either - of course their house was paid for as he paid as he built and so they never knew what a mortgage was - somehow that's something we should all go back to - wouldn't that change our country? NOT buying on credit???

Sorry that's a whole 'nother subject.

Please post your pickle recipe!!!!

I abandoned my garden this year so I'll have to buy some cukes but I love pickles!

Ok I understand all the hoohaw on bacteria and everything, My Gram used those jars forever and I have used them helping her(Never gooten sickand neither has anyone in our family) I have also used the mason jars and have had to throw out some jars because they didn't seal. I have never had a problem with the old jars and I have to use a knife to pop the seal on them. To each is own you can use whatever jars you prefer.
I will post the recipe for all to enjoy!!!!

GRANDMA MARGRETS ICICLE PICKLES

What you will need:
1 gallon glass jar with lid
1 cup canning salt
1/2 Tablespoon alum
4 lbs. sugar
5 cups cider vinegar
1/8 cup pickleing spice

PUT LID BACK ON AFTER EACH STEP
1st step
slice cucumbers and pack them in gallon jug, boil 2 quarts water and 1 cup canning salt, then pour over cuumbers. Let stand for 5 days. (I shake the jars every so often to make sure the cukes on top get the salt water on them)

2nd step
Drain jugs and pour 2 quarts boiling water over pickles. Let stand 24 hours.

3rd step
Drain jugs-- boil 2 quarts water and 1/2 Tablespoon alum, pour over pickles. Let stand 24 hours

4th step
Drain jugs-- boil 5 cups cider vinegar, 4 lbs sugar, and 1/8 cup pickleing spice. Pour over pickles. Let stand 24 hours

5th step
Drain vinegar out of jugs into pot and bring to a boil, pour back over pickles. Let stand 24 hours.

6th step
Drian vinegar out of jug into pot bring to a boil. Pack pickles into CLEAN HOT jars, cover with vinegar and seal.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and if anyone trys them let me know how they turned out.
ENJOY!!!!!

I used to can pickles, fruit and tomatoes (in every form and fashion), using the open kettle method, which was still approved back then, and nobody ever got sick from my food. Personally, if I were still able to can, I would probably try Grandma's pickles.

But I would never recommend a method to anyone that is not approved by the food police. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom