"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Head Chef

Couple years ago, at a local kitchen supply store, I found these small plastic stickers with a dry erase surface. Since then, I can't recall any mistakes from the frig or freeze. Works like a charm. Containers get washed, reused, their labels simply erased.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thought I was pulling out frozen corn--dumped it in the chili--it was salsa verde. It worked <g>.

Another time I pulled out "a chunk of meat." It was a pork roast, so I made either Milk Pork or Chili with Pork...can't remember, just remember that what I made was tasty.

Labels seem to fall off, sometimes. Now I write on the freezer wrap (as well as label the ziplock bag into which what is wrapped gets "shoved").

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Senior Cook

hmmm haven't done that yet...i throw stuff out after a week. i haven't frozen any food yet...does that make me weird? lol.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky77 View Post
hmmm haven't done that yet...i throw stuff out after a week. i haven't frozen any food yet...does that make me weird? lol.
No, it probably means you don't have 2000 sq ft of gardens and the 3 acres that you plant in the field. To accommodate all the veggies, we have NINE freezers (not counting the ones in the fridges). That probably makes me weird! As if getting the veggies started in the spring weren't enough to keep my DH busy for the month of March, he's busy evap'ing maple sap on his forge (and casting brass knobs for a desk he made). He makes me dizzy!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Just this past week I took out a quart of chicken stock. Turned out to be turkey gravy. So I quickly thawed the leftover thanksgiving turkey legs and made pot pies.

If it hadn't been for that mistake, I probably would have thrown out those turkey legs in a couple years!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
No, it probably means you don't have 2000 sq ft of gardens and the 3 acres that you plant in the field. To accommodate all the veggies, we have NINE freezers (not counting the ones in the fridges). That probably makes me weird! As if getting the veggies started in the spring weren't enough to keep my DH busy for the month of March, he's busy evap'ing maple sap on his forge (and casting brass knobs for a desk he made). He makes me dizzy!
wow now i'm jealous.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky77 View Post
Not really, but you do waste food that way.

If I don't finish off food the day after I make it, I put it in the freezer for a quick and easy meal some other time, when I want something I know is good, but don't feel like messing up the kitchen.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I see that, but it seems like i throw out a bowl of food. I feed three people (including myself) and try to have a leftover night. I guess i don't make enough food. I tried bringing food to work the next day, but gained a little weight. Throwing out a little bit of food each week is fine. If i were to make bigger batches of food, i'd definitely freeze it.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I label everything. Plastic containers get labeled on the lid with a white board marker. I use the labels on Ziplock freezer bags marking contents and quantities. I review the contents periodically to ensure nothing gets forgotten. It's a foolproof system except for one thing...

...I'm not the only one who puts stuff in the freezer.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We mark everything with a Sharpie. It comes off with rubbing alcohol. We even write the date on butter. Okay, we don't mark things that have good labels ;)

Tags
meals