"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Master Chef

Mystery Meals

OK, I know you've done it. You can confess it here. Have you ever gone to the back or bottom of your freezer or pantry, and found something there and not had any idea what it was? I thought I'd gotten better about labeling stuff, but found something today. I'll tell you about it, if you confess to me, first!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

Thought I was pulling out a sloppily filled container of lasagna to take to work for lunch. When it was nuked, found that I had a thick chili that had been tailored to fill burritos. Yes, and there have been others, usually, mystery broths that turned out to be something else.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've ended up with raw hamburger or fish in my work lunch...I quit pulling things from the freezer for lunch.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Doesn't happen much here. Nothing comes to mind other than the mystery containers with something or other furry that we may never figure out.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i just did that a few times recently.

what i thought was a frozen quart of meatballs and sausage ended up being big chunks of grilled pork shoulder that i threw togerher with leftover tomato sauce. nuked and plated with a side of potato chips, it was a fine 3am lunch.

then, what i thought was turkey gravy ended up being yellow lentil soup. it was pretty good nuked and ladled over an open face turkey sandwich.

i did end up finding the gravy. after taking it to work, my lunch that night was a turkey gravy sandwich, lol, and a bag of chips.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our recent thread about what's in the freezer got me better about marking things.

I've ended up with mystery meals so many times I can't remember them all. I usually just make do with whatever it is.

Thanks for the chuckle BT. Sometimes making do ends up being very delicious!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i did end up finding the gravy. after taking it to work, my lunch that night was a turkey gravy sandwich, lol, and a bag of chips.
Nothing wrong with that. In our house, we call that "gravy bread." I love gravy over homemade bread as a lunch.

As for mystery food? Doesn't happen here much, but a while back I took out what I thought was homemade chicken broth. Nope. It was homemade fish stock. Not exactly what I had in mind for the dish I was preparing.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Head Chef

Not since I became serious about my freezer. ;)
My mother's freezer was a scary place... things checked in, but they never checked out. No registration needed.

When I moved in with dad after Mom went to the great diner in the sky, there was 3 year old bread, 7 year old whole chickens and more mystery than Holmes could shake a stick at!

I have a list on my freezer door with things listed by shelf. And if I put it in there, it has ID and date.

Mysterious freezers scare me.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

Well, today it was something I am sure I thought I'd completely labeled at the time ..."mushroom beef stock". OK. I started to thaw it, and it had slices of chili peppers in it (I assumed we were going for stroganof). Then ... well, My husband and I looked at it together, and bless is soul, he said whatever, you've never fixed a bad meal. .. oh, by the way, how about adding the last of that harissa I made last week? We wound up with a delicious meal, but we both,as cleaning up, looked at each other and said, holey moley, what did we just eat?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm far to anal with our two freezers, I use a foodsaver and color co-0rdinate the label.
Ps yesterday I went to visit my Mum I forgot to put on my track suit bottoms over my long johns it was like a scene from blazing saddles when I entered the care homes dinning room.

Tags
meals