Need help w canning Chard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

upnylou

Assistant Cook
Need help w canning Chard
we just canned our first batch of swiss chard, *exactly* following directions from the Ball book.

after pressure canning for 1hr 10min, when we took out the jars they were less than 1/2 filled with liquid - which was 1" from the top when it started. it looks like the liquid boiled out.

do they need to be 'filled' to be storable? did we screw up??

note: we did *not* fill the pressure canner to a level over the jars, which we normally do for 'regular' boiling-water canning. this was per directions we read about pressure canning, and i'm not sure if it had anything to do with their losing 1/2 their liquid.

HELP!

This one beats me - that shouldn't have happened. If you followed the recipe in the Ball book - you "should" still have enough liquid to come up to within 1" of the lid (the headspace).

You might want to contact the folks at the Ball/Kerr website and ask them - since they are the experts.

Not having the Ball book, I can only make an educated guess here. Chard typically reduces by more than half when cooked, so I would say that is likely what happened in the processing. I don't think you did anything wrong. Having said that...I hope Michael is along soon with his trusty book to give you a better answer.

And WELCOME to DC. Pleased to see you here.

Loss of liquid from jars during processing

well .. thanks for the link to the FAQ site at homecanning.com. heres what the experts say:

Loss of liquid from jars during processing typically result from the following:
  • food not heated before packing into jars;
  • food packed too tightly;
  • incorrect headspace;
  • air bubbles not removed before capping jars;
  • steam-pressure canner temperature allowed to fluctuate during processing;
  • jars not covered with water in boiling-water canner;
  • jars removed from canner too quickly after processing is complete;
  • starchy foods absorbed liquid.

The food in the jar that is not covered by liquid may darken, but should not spoil as long as it was processed according to up-to-date methods (see Canning Basics) and there is a vacuum seal on the jar. Do not open jar to replace liquid.

I'm glad the experts could help!

I've personally never had that problem - but I know the folks at homecanning.com ARE the experts, which is why I suggested you contact them.

Gee, do any of you want to come over here and can some chard for me? I'm actually throwing some of mine away because canning isn't one of my skills. However, Portuguese bean soup is on the horizon. Any great ideas out there for chard? Guess I'll move over to veggies and see!

That happened to me with a bunch of asparagus once; never did figure out what the problem was.

Question - wouldn't freezing the chard be the better way to go?

michael,
"I'm glad the experts could help! "

thanks for the tips. we're still not *positive* what caused the problem, but it looks like we may have packed down the chard too tightly.

My neighbors had tons of chard and froze it in freezer bags after blanching. I have never tried this but it makes sense. I buy frozen spinach all the time in the winter! I would think you could freeze chard!

I finally found a logical explanation for what could have happened to the liquid in the jars! This was not in their FAQ answer.

From the Kerr Kitchen Handbook (1990) ... the canning book that preceeded the Ball Blue Book ... after processing for the necessary time:

"Turn off flame (gas). If possible, move canner carefully off burner (electric). Let pressure dop to 0 of its own accord (this will take 30 minutes to 1 hour). Do not force-cool the canner by running it under cold water or opening the vent port. Force-cooling can cause loss of liquid from jars, seal failures and warp the canner lid. When the guage on the dial registers 0, or when a gentle nudge on the weight on a weighted guage does not produce steam, open the petcock or remove the weight. Wait 2 minutes before unfastening lid."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom