"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Head Chef
Abby, if you are water canning, the lids need to be tightened down fairly tight-tighter than say tomatoes. Kraut doesn't do well in my experience with pressure canning, nor is it necessary, it has a high acid and salt content. The water needs to be over the jars for water bath canning. (I've lost whole batches of kraut by using pressure canning, but I didn't know I shouldn't have used that method.)
If you are pressure canning kraut, it will become limp and may force some threads of kraut between the jar and the lid--which is why I don't do it that way and they don't need it with the acid and salt content.
I make the dill pickle green beans, again, I use the water bath canner, not the pressure canner, and nothing gets between the lid and the jar. They have enough acid and salt to use water bath canning.
It's normal to lose a little liquid when heating jars but it's not okay to have things lose half their water and expect them to last on your pantry shelves for any amount of time.
I haven't tried to can okra so I can't speak to it. Tomatoes--I use enough acid and salt to use a water bath canning method, those hardly ever fail for me.
I hope that helps ~Bliss

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Head Chef
I am voting for air bubbles. Use a plastic or wooden spatula to release any bubbles before putting the lid on.

Stuff that loses liquid is not spoiled--it may discolor, but it is as safe as the food that keeps its liquid.

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
Head Chef
I'm pretty sure my okra problems were packing the jars too full and not enough
water in the canner. Live and learn!

kimchi is easier, LOL!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote