New to Canning with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjm1027

Assistant Cook
Hi I have approx 400 pounds of apples and have eaten, given them away and am now canning some. I purchased a Presto 01781 pressure canner that I also do a hot water bath with. I figure I would get best of both worlds.
My question is Why would you do a water bath if you have a pressure cooker?
Seems I had to heat a lot of water approx. 2" over my quart jar tops to get my apple sauce done. Boiling it for 20 minutes (200 ft above sea level) Took a while to get the water to boil. If I used it as a pressure cooker could I have put in 2 inches of water and let it go for 20 minutes at 15 psi and achieve the same results?

Thanks,
Steve

Don't have a pressure canner, nor do I have 400 pounds of apples (though some years it seems like it). I've always used either a water bath, or a steam canner, that uses a lot less water for apples.

Go for it with the pressure canner for your 400 lb of apples! As GG said, it needs to be a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker.

Last edited:
I used my pressure canner for fruits 'back when' we lived in a cabin with no running water. The U of GA site includes pressure canning directions for fruits.
National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Fruits

Now I mostly water bath because I usually have more than one load. For me, pulling out jars and immediately putting in the next batch seems quicker than waiting for the pressure to drop between loads. Time-wise it may be a wash...depends on how you like to work, I guess. (And we have a wood stove going part of the year, so it's easy to keep a big pot of water hot!)

When canning, some things need higher temps, some don't. Meat for instance needs more time and temperature than does apple sauce. The process is designed to kill any bacteria that may be present. some bacteria require more heat/time that others. Most Fruits/Jellies (being very general here) only require a boiling water bath, which is 212 F at sea level. If you add pressure (pressure canner) that temperature (of the steam) increases as the pressure increases. Most pressure canner have an ability to set pressure at 5,10,15 PSI (the little weights on the jiggler is one way). At 5 PSI the temperature of the steam is now increased from 212 to 225, 10 psi it's 239 F and 20 psi is 258.8 F. I like to can yellow squash. If I do it at 15 PSI it turns brown. At 5 PSI it's nice and yellow. Hope this helps.

I do exactly what you do. I used to have both a water bath set up and pressure canners. I now only have one pressure canner and use it for both water bath canning and pressure canning. My Presto instruction book says to pressure can apple sauce at 5 psi for 5 minutes or at 15 psi for zero minutes; pints and quarts.

You do not need to pressure can apple sauce for the same length of time as boiling water bath times.

I do exactly what you do. I used to have both a water bath set up and pressure canners. I now only have one pressure canner and use it for both water bath canning and pressure canning. My Presto instruction book says to pressure can apple sauce at 5 psi for 5 minutes or at 15 psi for zero minutes; pints and quarts.

You do not need to pressure can apple sauce for the same length of time as boiling water bath times.
What do you mean by 15 psi at 0 minutes?

Ok so I can do applesauce at 5 psi for 5 minutes? That's awesome. How much water maybe 2 inches in the presto pot?

You all have been great. I enjoy canning but am very anxious when doing it. My family says I have to be the taster too then they will try it the next day. ��

What do you mean by 15 psi at 0 minutes?

Ok so I can do applesauce at 5 psi for 5 minutes? That's awesome. How much water maybe 2 inches in the presto pot?

You all have been great. I enjoy canning but am very anxious when doing it. My family says I have to be the taster too then they will try it the next day. ��

As soon as you reach 15 psi, turn off the heat and cool down as directed, you're done.

Yes, you can pressure can apple sauce at 5 psi for 5 minutes, pints or quarts.

I put 3 quarts of water in the pressure canner, about 2 inches.

I tried the 5 psi for 5 minutes with 2 inches of water. Much easier and faster.
I purchased a new pressure weight for my presto 01781 from Amazon. Does 5, 10, 15 psi by removing the weights. The gauge showing 6.5 psi. If it were lower than 5 psi I would be worried.
Steve

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom