"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

New to making Sauerkraut, questions...

Watched a few youtubes on making sauerkraut and gave it a try, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
When I first mashed the cabbage up and put it in the jars, I didn't have quite enough cabbage liquid to cover it so I added a small amount of water. Is that fine?
Second question, I notice that there are a lot of bubbles accumulating down below. Is this normal? Should I press the cabbage down daily and make sure those bubbles rise out of the jar?
Last, is it normal that the water level keeps rising slowly?

Thanks for any guidance!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Those bubbles will rise out eventually. Just gas created by the cabbage. The main thing is to have all of the cabbage under the surface of the liquid. If you can fit a circular weight of some sort in there to weigh down the cabbage you would be better off. I use a heavy plate with my crock. I would also try and minimize how often you put anything in the krout. It can get contaminated fairly easily..

Old 09-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much, I'll give that a try. And thanks for the tip on avoiding contamination.

Frank
Old 09-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Wine Guy

With the exception of this year, I've been making homemade sauerkraut for over 20 years.

Quote:
When I first mashed the cabbage up and put it in the jars, I didn't have quite enough cabbage liquid to cover it so I added a small amount of water. Is that fine?
Perfectly fine.

Quote:
Second question, I notice that there are a lot of bubbles accumulating down below. Is this normal?
The bubbles you see are fermentation. Again, this is normal.

Quote:
Last, is it normal that the water level keeps rising slowly?
As the kraut ferments, the cabbage will give up some of its water and reduce in volume. This is okay, however this, along with the fact you had to add water, indicates you didn't "massage" the cabbage quite as much as you could have.

Don't worry. I'm pretty confident it will turn out fine. Sauerkraut is one of those things that is really hard to mess up.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'm very partial to sauerkraut. Was first introduced to it in Germany... duh... So although both my mother and I quite liked it - it was not the most popular item with the rest of the family. With my own family, well, I guess it is an acquired taste?

I have it a lot more often now with everyone gone and must say it rarely even gets to the heat on the stove. Sigh... I just eat it straight out of the can (or bag, depending on where I bought it).

Now, with this thread, I've just been looking up recipes... hmmm if I can make small quantities I might give it a try.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Head Chef

Just make sure it is not in a totally sealed container. It will explode if it can't vent.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Just make sure it is not in a totally sealed container. It will explode if it can't vent.
sounds like you're talking from experience
Old 09-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I want to try making it. I will follow this person's recipe. I will have to add caraway seeds to my version. How to Make Sauerkraut | The Prairie Homestead
Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
sounds like you're talking from experience
Nope, never got to the actual exploding part, but to a REALLY LOUD POPPING sound when loosening the ring on a Ball canning jar.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Head Chef

As mentioned above :
-Keep cabbage completely submerged.

-Let it vent ( for me I just tasted a little each day, and by opening the container that was
enough from it building up too much pressure)

-In the recipe that I used, it says that if there is not enough liquid to cover the kraut, dissolve 1tsp salt to 1 cup of water and add it. Thats what I do and it works fine.

-Also, the temperature of the room it is fermenting in could affect the fermentation rate. warmer rooms seam to be quicker than cooler rooms ( for me).

-I find it takes about 3 - 5 days to get to the point where I like it. Once its at the sourness that I like, I just toss it in the fridge.

It doesn't last long in this house, sometimes I just snack on it all by itself.

Tags
sauerkraut