OAMC Freezing Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfaithj

Assistant Cook
I have a bunch of various food items in my freezer and I'm wondering if they have been there too long. I have a cooked banana bread that's been there for about a year and a cooked turkey meatloaf that's also been in there a year. I have uncooked frozen turkey burgers in there as well. Which (if any) of those should I toss? And in general, what's the guideline and how long things can stay in the freezer? Thanks.

I suppose it depends on many different factors, especially the meat.
I would say, simply, thaw it out... if it is discolored or smells iffy get rid of it.

I tend to leave things in the freezer longer than the guidelines say to, but even I think a year is too long for the things you mentioned. I would toss all the things you mentioned. Off-hand I can't remember the guidelines for how long to leave things in the freezer, but a search of the site should yield results.

:)Barbara

Thanks to both of you. I think I'll toss the cooked food that's been in the freezer for a year and quickly eat up the uncooked turkey burgers.

I'm going to assume OAMC = Once A Month Cooking?

If the food was kept at 0ºF - it is still safe to eat .... but quality has declined. Here is the chart from the FDA.

Back
Top Bottom