Oops, Did I blow this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks delicious!

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to change your mind about whether this jar of apple sauce is safe. I just want to understand for myself the details of how canning works.

@GG
ya know, I just started 'canning', this is maybe my 4th or 5th go at it... I, by NO streach of anyone's imagination, am proficient AT ALL!!!
That's the reason why I posted this thread, to get other DCer's help :)
I read this gal's blog post the other day where she posted a link to
the USDA Complete Canning Guide.
She attened a week long seminar on home canning, something about getting a certification in it, sounds like something I'd like to do.
I'm digging it, now that we live on the 'mainland' and I have access to some very inexpensive, delicious produce. :yum:

In a case like this, the only thing I have heard that might happen because of the air is that the apples might get a bit darker around the air.

This was a suprisingly tasty AppleSauce!
All I did was peel, core, cut the apples into eight even chunks,
put them into an 8-quart pot with about 1/2 a cup of filtered water.
Cooked them covered for about 15 minutes or so until the fruit was tender, took the stick blender to them, sparingly as not to mush it too much,
we wanted chunks, gave it a taste, and BAM!
I did add a half of a packet of Splenda (Mom likes sweet stuff) and a couple'a good shakes of ground cinnamon just before spooning into the jars. But really it was sweet enough without the sugar substitute,
I used all Fuji Apples, DELISH!

If you can get your hands on some Cortlands, they are even better for applesauce. It's a super sweet apple and is (in my opinion) the best apple for sauce blends. I usually will mix a tart apple in as well to give a little "kick". Cortlands also are perfect for doing fried apples :yum:

If you can get your hands on some Cortlands, they are even better for applesauce. It's a super sweet apple and is (in my opinion) the best apple for sauce blends. I usually will mix a tart apple in as well to give a little "kick". Cortlands also are perfect for doing fried apples :yum:

Cortland also make for a great apple pie! I used to use Granny Smiths all the time. But once I found Cortlands, I will never go back. Less sugar is used with them. :angel:

Cortland also make for a great apple pie! I used to use Granny Smiths all the time. But once I found Cortlands, I will never go back. Less sugar is used with them. :angel:

I didn't really appreciate them until moving to Virginia, where they are hard to find. I grew up in The Syracuse area and had them all the time! Even if you want a tart apple product, mix in a 3:1 ratio of tart and cortlands, no sugar needed! The only place I've found them here is Trader Joe's, waiting for them to come back for the season!

A mix of Cortland and Fuji would be perfect for pie too :)

I didn't really appreciate them until moving to Virginia, where they are hard to find. I grew up in The Syracuse area and had them all the time! Even if you want a tart apple product, mix in a 3:1 ratio of tart and cortlands, no sugar needed! The only place I've found them here is Trader Joe's, waiting for them to come back for the season!

A mix of Cortland and Fuji would be perfect for pie too :)

We have an apple orchard that is about 25 minutes from where I live. When I was able to go apple picking, I was on their mailing list telling which apple were being picked that week. A lot of times we would be in the barn when the cart came in loaded with crates of apples that were on the trees just a few minutes ago. Those apples tasted so good compared to the ones that had been sitting in a controlled warehouse all winter. :angel:

K-girl, even IF that jar of sauce with the bubble was OK, better to be safe than sorry. It was best that you guys are using it right away - and I bet your DH would heartily agree! BTW, that is a lovely looking apple sauce.

We have an apple orchard that is about 25 minutes from where I live....
Mapleside Farms was about 10 minutes from our home back in Ohio. Loved that place - fresh apples grown right there, all kinds of fresh fruits. Yummy. Unfortunately, every time we've been back to OH we weren't there when Melrose apples are in season. I think those are my favorite. That might be because we can't find any here in MA, but I know we would buy a sack as soon as Mapleside picked them every year. Wait too long and *poof* they were gone.

Mahalo, thanks Cooking Goddess!
On second taste, DH wasn't as thrilled with it, he said it was to chewy, he likes the puree better, so next time I'll make it both ways I guess.

Cortland Apples to me are the best 'sweet apple'
only had them once at a Farmer's Market in Portland.
I bought a nice big bad of them, stashed them away,
along with some other fruits, nuts and salami.

We took a road trip down the Pacific Coast Highway,
stopping at the Tillamook Creamery and had a lovely
picnic at the beach in Newport Oregon.

We took the Tillamook Cheese Factory tour; the Mister thought I was nuts.
"What? you want to stop where? why? I've never heard of Tillamook cheese"
He loved it, ate every sample they gave out.
The Ice Cream was out of this world, and I saw just the other day that our mega-mart now carries it in half gallons :yum:

tillamook (pronounced till-ah-mook) is the west coast version of the east coast's cabot (pronounced kah-butt, lol) cheddar.

people from oregeon (pronounced or-uh-gun, not or-uh-gone) like to mess with the pronunciations of things.

they try just a little too hard to be unique: like a teenage girl named jacquelyn who spells her name "jakki".

from the willamette (pronounced will-ah-mett) valley.

cortlands from portland? :wacko:

back to k-girl trying to off the ol' girl... er, i mean make applesauce.

Last edited:
Home canned Sugar Free Chunky AppleSauce
to
Apple varities
to
CHEESE!
I love CHEESE!
:yum: Cheese and Apples, yum!
my little sister went to school in Willamette,
ooh!
Apples, Cheese and Willamette Valley Wines... better yet!
Throw in a handful of nuts, maybe some beautiful artisanal charcuterie, BEAUTIFUL! (insert drooling emoticon here please)
... kind of a natureal progression of the topic, dontcha think? ;)
But I digress :LOL:
What were we talking about again?
and did anyone see where I left my head, I keep loosing it :ohmy::)

Kgirl, your head is attached to your neck. I know I would lose mine if it weren't attached.

giggles2.jpg

... so that's where it went

Back
Top Bottom