Orange Marmalade runny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgail620

Assistant Cook
I'm a first timer making Orange Marmalade, and although I'm pretty sure I will never make it again (way too much work), I need to fix the batch I have. It's runny, not nearly as thick as it should be. So...I recooked it, added another pkg of certo, and it did not make a bit of difference. I hate to dump it, but it 's not usable as jam right now.
Any suggestions??:chef:

I've posted a couple of recipes using marmalade, for example a bread pudding flavoured with marmalade. Do a search (on the top of the page) and key in marmalade - I'm sure there are quite a few recipes on here!

You didn't tell us what you did in the beginning, what you used, or how you did it .... so it's hard to guess what "exactly" might have gone wrong - or how to fix it.

I make orange marmalade every year - no added liquid or powdered pectin, and it always works if I cook it to the jelling state - not just to the temperature that should be the jelling state.

If you are using pectin - did you use exactly what the recipe called for? There is liquid and powder pectins for sugar, and liquid and powdered for reduced sugar. These pectins are not interchangeable - you have to use exactly what the recipe calls for. The ONLY time I ever had a problem was when I tried to use a recipe that called for pectin ... my first batch didn't set so I recooked it and added more pectin - and I wound up with jars of "bitter-orange ROCK"!

Another thing - sometimes it takes a day or three for jams to set up. Don't know how quickly you are testing your marmalade.

If you care to share your recipe, and exactly what you used and did, perhaps someone can help you figure out your problem.

Sorry for the lack of info. I got my recipe from my ancient Ball Blue Book. Calls for 4 oranges, 2 lemons, 2 1/2 c. water, 1/8 t. soda, 1 pkg pectin, 6 c. sugar, and 1/4 t. nutmeg. I spent an enourmous amt of time removing the peel, scraping off most of the white. I combined the peel with the water and soda, boiled covered for 20 min. I removed the seeds and pulp from the oranges, processed them and added it to the peel mixture, simmered for 10 min. I then measured 5 c. of this mixture in a large saucepan with the pectin. Brought to a boil and added the sugar and nutmeg. Brought to a hard boil, boiled 1 min. I then put it in the jars, and a good 10 min water bath.
I waited 2 wks to set up, nothing. I then poured it back in a pot, added 1 more pkg of pectin, boiled 1 min, repeated the canning process. Absolutely no change yet in consistency. That was Thanksgiving a.m.
The recipe did call for powdered pectin, but I used liquid. Would this make the difference? I've done a fair amt of jam making, and never had a problem with this before.
I did find a good recipe for Pork Loin with Orange Marmalade.

Last edited:
Okay - so you used basically the CERTO Orange Marmalade Recipe, with a slight modification or two.

It sounds like your two major problems were you used the wrong type of pectin and added it at the wrong stage of cooking:

1) Liquid and powdered pectins are not interchangeable. Use what the recipe calls for (and double check the package for manufacturer's instructions).

2) Liquid and powdered pectins are not added at the same stage of the cooking process. Generally, powdered pectin is stirred into the fruit and brought to a boil before the sugar is added. Liquid pectin is added after all other ingredients are combined and brought to a boil.

Reference for 1 and 2 above: Ball Blue Book - Guide to Home Canning, Freezing and Dehydration (c. 2002, Alltrista Corp: p 28)

I've NEVER tried this - and I've not yet run across a site that gives a solution for this problem - but it's worth a shot to try to turn one jar of marmalade glaze into jam:

1) Empty one jar of marmalade into a small saucepan or skillet, heat gently to a boil, and cook to the gelling stage (using the "spoon sheeting" or "plate test" method - should be in your Ball Blue Book.)

2) Put back in the jar, allow to cool on the counter for 8-hours, and then refrigerate for 24 hours. You should then have one of the following:

a) no change - still orange marmalade sauce
b) Marmalade!
c) a rock of orange colored stuff in a jar

If you get marmalade - then it might be worth reprocessing the entire batch, again.

You're right - making marmalade is a pain. But, after you do it for a few years, it gets easier and quicker.

Aha! Thanks, Michael. And I was so proud of my garage sale find Blue Book for 25 cents! I should have stuck to my original canning cookbook.
I will definitely try the one jar method and see what happens. I guess I will end up with either a glaze for ham, Marmalade!! (yes!!), or Orange Marmalade candy. Hopefully this weekend I can find the time to venture into this. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom