Pectin never set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
i had a bunch of persimmons that i tries to make jellie out of for my grandmother. i used no cook pectin, i forgot what brand it was. i followed the diections and it never set up. anyone know why?

Need more facts to be able to figure out your problem. Can't say for sure about persimmons but I do remember that something in pineapple causes gelatin to stay liquid. Forget get if it acidity or alkalinity but think it was pH related. Native persimmons a very astringent unless completely ripe. It could be a factor. What other ingredients did you add? Another rule is never try to double the batch it stays liquid if you do. Have you done this before with success?

the persimmons were not totally ripe and it was the first time i had ever tried it with them.

Should work in theory, there are recipes out there for persimmon jelly. Can you post what you did so we can troubleshoot?

I would vote that you try when they are totally ripe. If I can't eat the native persimmon off the tree I wouldn't try to use it. It may be diffeerent with those big japanese persimmons

Back
Top Bottom