Pick a Peck'a Pickled Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My cleaning lady brought me a bunch of sweet banana peppers, and I decided to make refrigerator pickles out of them. I couldn't find a recipe that suited me, so after I found the right vinegar/salt/water combination, I did some guess-work, and came up with something that sounded good to me. Kim and I made them a couple of weeks ago, and last night was the first time we tasted them.
All I can say is Wow! They turned out great...not really hot, but with a good "after-burn".

This is for a small batch...we tripled the recipe.

Connie’s Pickled Banana Peppers

½ cup salt
½ cup sugar
1 qt. white vinegar
½ tsp mustard seed
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp turmeric
2-3 pods of garlic
2 sliced jalapeno peppers
3 packed cups sliced sweet banana peppers, seeded

Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes. Pack banana pepper rings, jalapenos and garlic into quart jar. Pour hot vinegar solution into filled jars. Allow to cool, then store in refrigerator. Let stand 2 weeks before opening. Makes about one and a half quarts.

Gourmet, I didn't crush the mustard seeds, and I left everything in the jalapenos. I can stand a little heat, but I'm a chicken when it comes to anything too hot, and these were just within my comfort zone. My son-in-law and husband both said the peppers were not really hot.

By the way, the peppers are all sliced into rings...I'm not sure I made that clear in the recipe.

Last edited:
If you are ever searching for a new pickle recipe that might suit you. You should look at

How to Pickle

They also have an excellent guide they sell there.

That they are, Gourmet. You can also use the recipe for other vegetables if you wish, although you may want to blanch them first.

Back
Top Bottom