Pickle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azfred

Assistant Cook
I made three quart jars of pickles, cold pack unprocessed with water, salt, vinegar, garlic and dill. they've been pickling for about 4 days. All were made the same, one jar is cloudy and the other 2 are clear. What is causing the cloudiness and are all the pickles safe to eat? should I do anything else?
thanks fred

update, today is actualy the 7th day and the other two jarshave started to get clouy, is this normal or are they bad?
thanks fred

Mine have gone cloudy on me and ive had no problem at all.
They still tasted good. Usually the ones that got cloudier seemed to be further along in the pickling process. Some times a film will form on top. Just kinda scoop that off, and the pickles should be fine. Even though u used the same recipe and ingredients for all, its still not an exact science, as the cucumbers are different sizes or whatever. So some might advance sooner than others. My current batch is about 3 days old and ive eaten about 1/3 of them already :-p

One cause of cloudy pickles is not using pure "pickling" salt. Don't know what you used - so don't know if that is the proiblem or not.

Michael, I've always used pure pickling salt, but some still go cloudy. Usually the barrel pickles. But, they've always been safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom