Pickled Banana Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyhuggies

Senior Cook
Hi there!
I've only been canning for a short time.I have made pickles successfully:rolleyes: (shouldn't say that I haven't tasted them yet).Anyway my question is about banana peppers.I put them in the jars with salt oil & a vinegar water brine filled the jars,put them in a water bath but i found that the peppers are soaking up all the "juice" in the jar (about half)-some do some don't.they all sealed well but i was wondering if this is normal or did i do something wrong.
any feed back on this would be great. I would hate to think that i have 20 jars of pickled banana peppers to eat:sick:.
Babyhuggies

You got me on that one. I have no idea, I've never pickled peppers before. (Or picked a peck of them either)

I'm going to go surf a bit and see if I can find an answer for you. I suspect someone else will be along shortly to help you as well. We are a friendly bunch here. Welcome!

Babyhuggies, I found this same information on a couple of different sites:
"Specific problems exist when canning pickled peppers in oil. Follow the recommended amount of oil (2 tablespoons per pint) and allow proper headspace. Peppers in oil need additional processing time over recipes not containing oil. If peppers to be home-canned contain oil, take care that no ingredients touch the jar rim or flat lid. The oil tends to soften the natural rubber-based lining found in some brands of home-canning lids and may result in loosening of the seal over time. The Kerr Company, for example, does not recommend using their lids in products canned at home with oil."
It was also mentioned several times that botulism can be a problem with oil-packed vegetables if they aren't done exactly right.
I don't mean to discourage you, but botulism is tasteless, oderless, and deadly.

thanks for the warning i will keep an eye on those jars. Turns out(kinda thought so)that the whole peppers soaked up the "juice") since they all sealed and i did follow the directions hopefully everything will be fine.:)

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom