Pickled Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trip

Senior Cook
I figure while I'm bothering people for pickled weiner recipes I should try for the pickled cheese one, they make really good ones at St Alberts but I would like to make it myself. Any ideas?

Is it firm & cubed or soft & round?

I LOVE what I can only call "Italian Cheese Salad", which consists of cubes of different firm cheeses (cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack, swiss, provolone, etc.) cut into bite-size cubes & marinated along with cubed salami, hot peppers, etc., in an oil & red-wine vinegar dressing.

I've also enjoyed small rounds of herbed goat cheese that have been marinated in olive oil. Also enjoy the commercially-made jars of cubes of feta or blue cheese in a Greek herbed olive oil.

no, no slime, it's usually either in cubes or strings and its in some kind of pickling solution in a jar. I first had it at a bar where my dad was trying to convince me it wouldn't kill me, now I'm hooked, prob is to buy it it is hugely expensive and you don't get much so been trying to figure out how to make it but mistakes with cheese can get expensive so am trying to get some suggestions.

Hmmm... interesting.

Well, feta often comes packed in brine, so I guess it's not that hard to fathom other kinds. Might have to try some... I love pickles and I love cheese so it stands to reason that i'd love pickled cheese! Hehe.

Definitely NOT slimy at all!!!

Although I don't have a jar in the fridge at the moment, all the supermarkets around here carry the marinated cubed blue cheese & the cubed feta cheese. The marinade is a very tasty herbed oil - oregano, pink peppercorns, etc., etc., & in itself makes a nice salad addition, which is what I use the cheese cubes on anyway. Same for the goat cheese rounds.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how it's made except for one older recipe that I would be leery to make due to botulism issues.

Jaques Pepin is featured today at npr dot org and he talks breifly about pickling cheese in wine in a jar and food processing it with garlic and also glazing it in aa broiler. Great article.

Welcome to DC. You do realize this thread is almost 10 years old.:angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom