Pickled cucumbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hee Hee! Much truth to that statement and I'm sorry you died. :chef: No sympathy for pickle stealers.

I'm always concerned about the beginner canner/pickler not following the directions or taking short cuts, like neglecting to fully rinse in the case of brined pickles, or not bothering to HW Bath at all since the jar "sealed" without it, or not getting a full boil for the required time. I believe they call that Russian Roulette.
No sympathy for the pickles stealers? What kind of a monster are you? Ah you thought I was a beginner, I understand. I guess I do like to play with poisons, say, a blow fish or is it black ink from something? I'll stick with lime for pickles.
Hence forth I'll be the canner that died due to not following directions even when I followed directions and then some. Early reputations are hard to shake. ~Blissful:LOL:

Every year I plant a bush pickle with the intent to can and every year I eat them fresh until they're gone and curse myself. THIS YEAR I'M MAKING PICKLES THAT LOOK LIKE LEN'S! Thanks for posting the recipe link as well ... they really ARE green!

len p, I'm still wondering if it's safe to use jars with just twist-on lids and not processing the pickles in a boiling water bath.

I always thought it was risking botulism. No?

Lee

Cellophane

My grand mother was using glass jars with cellophane coating and she was boiling them after. I always thought it was to remove the air as she did that for all the jars she was preparing.

In all the truth soaking cucumbers in a cold water does the trick for making them crispy. No need for any chemichals. i do not use any preserves, none. Salt, red hot pepper, garlick and dill. That is all good pickle needs.

So, do you have any of them pickles left? Take a picture post it now, let's see how they look after few mons in a jar.

Hee Hee! Much truth to that statement and I'm sorry you died. :chef: No sympathy for pickle stealers.

I'm always concerned about the beginner canner/pickler not following the directions or taking short cuts, like neglecting to fully rinse in the case of brined pickles, or not bothering to HW Bath at all since the jar "sealed" without it, or not getting a full boil for the required time. I believe they call that Russian Roulette.

What on earth would make you assume that a first timer would take a short cut, when they dont even know what they are short-cutting?
If I were making them for the first time you could be darn sure all directions were followed to a t, so that I know what I am SUPPOSED to be doing.

What on earth would make you assume that a first timer would take a short cut, when they dont even know what they are short-cutting?
If I were making them for the first time you could be darn sure all directions were followed to a t, so that I know what I am SUPPOSED to be doing.
I think the assumption is that first timers might not realize the importance of following each step exactly. They might ready that the jars need to be boiled for 15 minutes and decide that 10 is good enough because they do not understand why each step in needed.

aha....
if you are Suzi you are paranoid and boil baby bottles for 2 hours.
got ya.

I make pickled cucumbers during summer/ autumn, when I can get cucumbers which grew out in the field and not in green-houses.

I know from experience that the quality of the cucumbers is a very important factor for successful pickling.

Also I always add 1 Tsp salt for 1 cup water. If this thing is not done correctly, the pickles will not become tasty and crispy

Back
Top Bottom